[comp.sys.amiga] Sidecar Problems

RSK100@PSUVM.BITNET (11/04/88)

I know there aren't many Sidecar owners out there, but if anyone has experience
 with one, I'd like some help.. Commodore Tech service was clueless...

I have a 20 meg Plus hardcard, which works fine. The default address of the buf
fer to the amiga is at $E000. In this location, everything is fine, but when I
reboot the sidecar, it locks up.. Without the hard card, it reboots fine.

If I change the address to $D000, the sidecar reboots fine, but the amiga inter
face software AKA janus system won't recognize it at all. So I can't use the
hard drive on the amiga side, unless I have the sidecar set at $E000.

If someone knows what I can do to make the hard card reboot at $E000, or modify
 janus.device or whatever to work at $D000, please help me..

Thank you...
             Randy Katz    (working on a signature file)

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (11/08/88)

In article <59690RSK100@PSUVM> RSK100@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>I have a 20 meg Plus hardcard, which works fine. The default address of the buf
>fer to the amiga is at $E000. In this location, everything is fine, but when I
>reboot the sidecar, it locks up.. Without the hard card, it reboots fine.
>
>If I change the address to $D000, the sidecar reboots fine, but the amiga inter
>face software AKA janus system won't recognize it at all. So I can't use the
>hard drive on the amiga side, unless I have the sidecar set at $E000.
>
>If someone knows what I can do to make the hard card reboot at $E000, or modify
> janus.device or whatever to work at $D000, please help me..

Some PC hard cards have there eproms set for addresses other than $C800. If
your hardcard is not set for $c800, try that. The sidecar should be able to workwith a memory window of d000. A memory window of A000 will not allow the
special software such as jlink and aread/awrite to work.

Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
The official word, is NO. I am therefore going anyway!
   						          Kirk - Star Trek IV

                Pleese desrigard eny spealing airors!!!!!!!

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (11/09/88)

In article <59690RSK100@PSUVM> RSK100@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>I have a 20 meg Plus hardcard, which works fine. The default address of the buf
>fer to the amiga is at $E000. In this location, everything is fine, but when I
>reboot the sidecar, it locks up.. Without the hard card, it reboots fine.
>
>If someone knows what I can do to make the hard card reboot at $E000, or modify
> janus.device or whatever to work at $D000, please help me..

Our experience with Plus hardcards during compatibility testing showed a six
minute reboot time on both the Sidecar and Bridgeboard. We suspected, but
could never verify, a conflict with the Phoenix BIOS we're using on both
systems.

>             Randy Katz    (working on a signature file)

  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,
                            ||  is purely coincidental.

lgulyas@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Laszlo Gulyas) (02/17/89)

I seem to have an annoying problem with my Sidecar. It seems that each time I
open up my PC Color screen on the IBM, and am working with it for a while, the
IBM screen will freeze up for a second. Then all of a sudden the top 1/4 of
the screen will turn into reverse text spaces ( ie white blocks in every other
space). When running some programs it would do this every 2-3 seconds. This has
become quite annoying. The other problem is that the IBM screen will sometimes
get random characters appearing on the screen. I am using 4 text colors on the
IBM Color screen emulation with 512K. The ROM BIOS is dated version 2.06.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Laszlo Gulyas