[comp.sys.amiga] 1.3 KS ROMs

mermelstein%tel.inrs.cdn@relay.ubc.ca (lois mermelstein) (02/17/89)

While I contemplate which hard disk to buy....

Are the 1.3 Kickstart ROMs (for a 2000) available for purchase and can they
be installed by anyone, or do you have to get a dealer to get them and
install them for you?

If one *can* buy the chips on their own:
	how easy are they to install? (I vaguely remember reading here
		that the sockets for these were in a hard-to-access
		spot - is this true, or are my bits scrambled?)
	does anyone know of a mail order place that sells 'em cheap?

Thanks much,
Lois Mermelstein
mermelstein@tel.inrs.cdn

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Lee) (02/17/89)

In article <8944@louie.udel.EDU> mermelstein%tel.inrs.cdn@relay.ubc.ca (lois mermelstein) writes:
>Are the 1.3 Kickstart ROMs (for a 2000) available for purchase and can they
>be installed by anyone, or do you have to get a dealer to get them and
>install them for you?

I purchased my 1.3 KS ROM from a place for $35 and (after promising to
release the store from any responsibilities whatsoever) installed them myself.

>If one *can* buy the chips on their own:
>	how easy are they to install? (I vaguely remember reading here
>		that the sockets for these were in a hard-to-access
>		spot - is this true, or are my bits scrambled?)

It was easy to install, but then I've pulled the cover off my amiga
several times before.  The ROM socket (only 1 chip) is under the drive
bay/power supply assembly, so you have to remove that first (4-5 screws).

>	does anyone know of a mail order place that sells 'em cheap?

Unfortunately, I don't know any mail-order places selling them via mail.
I got mine from Creative Computers in Redondo Beach, CA.

>Thanks much,
>Lois Mermelstein
>mermelstein@tel.inrs.cdn

You're welcome.

Raining CATS & DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System.
ARPAnet: johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU		John Lee
UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cory!johnhlee