[comp.sys.amiga] zoo

space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (12/09/88)

In article <3066@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>PS: is there a program that'll generate a list of filenames suitable for
>input to 'zoo I'? This is a very cpio-ish option, you know.

There is a port of UN*X find to the Amiga. It's very well done, every primary
that makes sense with AmigaDOS is implemented. I use find for cpio, so I guess
you could use it for Zoo, too. It came along on a Fish disk some time ago.
Don't remember which, though.
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!sns!space		BIX: -- no bucks --

Here's looking at you, kid!
		-- the Medusa

randy@oetl.UUCP (Randy O'Meara) (12/14/88)

In article <180@sns.UUCP> space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) writes:
>In article <3066@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>PS: is there a program that'll generate a list of filenames suitable for
>>input to 'zoo I'? This is a very cpio-ish option, you know.
>
>There is a port of UN*X find to the Amiga. It's very well done, every primary
>that makes sense with AmigaDOS is implemented. I use find for cpio, so I guess
>you could use it for Zoo, too. It came along on a Fish disk some time ago.
>Don't remember which, though.
>--

Fish Library
================================ Disk 134 ================================

Find		Find is a utility which searches for files that satisfy
		a given boolean expression of attributes, starting from
		a root pathname and searching recursively down through
		the hierarchy of the file system.  Very much like the
		Unix find program.  Version 1.0, includes source.
		Author:  Rodney Lewis

<  Randy O'Meara -- LMSC -- SCF                                 >
<  EMAIL:  {pyramid,leadsv}!oetl!randy   PHONE:  (408) 425-6249 >
<_______________________________________________________________>

pjb@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter J. Bishop) (01/04/89)

Hi,

Being a complete novice to the Amiga, I have been looking at the relevant
newsgroups and there is a fair amount of source that is in "zoo" format. As I
said I am new to this so I could be wrong. If I am not though, could someone
please tell me how I can decode this format to run it on my machine.

--
Cheers,
Peter Bishop.  <pjb@tcom.stc.co.uk> || ...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pjb

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (01/21/89)

Does anyone out there know why zoo crashes when I try to unpack or
list the contents of zoo files from my hardrive? I can unpack stuff
fine on floppy, rad:, ram:, vd0:, but not supradrive! I am using a
supra 5.01a software, and the ffs is mounted on both of my 30 meg
partitions. I have a 512k hack, and 2 meg starboard. Zoo will guru
the machine every timeI try to unpack something. Sometimes it will
list the contents of a zoo file about halfway through, then crash.
Thanks for any ideas!

  Greg Garner
  501-442-4847
  gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (01/21/89)

In article <1672@cveg.uucp> gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:

> Does anyone out there know why zoo crashes when I try to unpack or
> list the contents of zoo files from my hardrive? I can unpack stuff
> fine on floppy, rad:, ram:, vd0:, but not supradrive! I am using a
> supra 5.01a software, and the ffs is mounted on both of my 30 meg
> partitions.

>   Greg Garner
>   gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

Do you have 1.3 and the FFS?  The problem you describe sounds like you
have a pre-release of 1.3's FFS which had a bug that showed up very
well when running ZOO.  Of course, there's no need to post that
information since ONLY REGISTERED DEVELOPERS were supposed to have 1.3
and they all read about that bug in AmigaMail; and if your problem is
caused by an out of date version of 1.3 then you are a developer and
already know this... right?

(Sorry for shouting... it also might be that you don't have your stack
set large enough... :-)

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

In <1672@cveg.uucp>, gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:
>Does anyone out there know why zoo crashes when I try to unpack or
>list the contents of zoo files from my hardrive? I can unpack stuff
>fine on floppy, rad:, ram:, vd0:, but not supradrive! I am using a
>supra 5.01a software, and the ffs is mounted on both of my 30 meg
>partitions. I have a 512k hack, and 2 meg starboard. Zoo will guru
>the machine every timeI try to unpack something. Sometimes it will
>list the contents of a zoo file about halfway through, then crash.
>Thanks for any ideas!

Sounds like you might be running a prerelease version of FFS. Zoo had some
problems on early (beta/gamma/omega FFS's, but not on the release version.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

chad@cup.portal.com (Chad The-Walrus Netzer) (01/24/89)

In a previous article (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
>In article <1672@cveg.uucp> gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:
>> Does anyone out there know why zoo crashes when I try to unpack or
>> list the contents of zoo files from my hardrive? I can unpack stuff
>> fine on floppy, rad:, ram:, vd0:, but not supradrive! I am using a
>> supra 5.01a software, and the ffs is mounted on both of my 30 meg
>> partitions.
>Do you have 1.3 and the FFS?  The problem you describe sounds like you
>have a pre-release of 1.3's FFS which had a bug that showed up very
>well when running ZOO.  Of course, there's no need to post that
>information since ONLY REGISTERED DEVELOPERS were supposed to have 1.3
>and they all read about that bug in AmigaMail; and if your problem is
>caused by an out of date version of 1.3 then you are a developer and
>already know this... right?

	I am also having this problem (crashing when unzooing on a FFS Hard
disk).  I have only the release version of 1.3 and FFS, but the problem still
occurs.  And keeping all else equal, the problem does not occur in RAM:, on
Floppies, or in a SFS partition...  (I'm using Zoo 2.00)  The Guru number is
usually either 3 or 4.  So it is definately a bug somewhere...

>(Sorry for shouting... it also might be that you don't have your stack
>set large enough... :-)
	Even with a large stack, the problem still occurs...
				Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer -> AmigaManiac++

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (01/25/89)

In article <13874@cup.portal.com> chad@cup.portal.com (Chad The-Walrus Netzer) writes:

> In a previous article (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> 	I am also having this problem (crashing when unzooing on a FFS Hard
> disk).  I have only the release version of 1.3 and FFS, but the problem still
> occurs.  And keeping all else equal, the problem does not occur in RAM:, on
> Floppies, or in a SFS partition...  (I'm using Zoo 2.00)  The Guru number is
> usually either 3 or 4.  So it is definately a bug somewhere...

> 				Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer -> AmigaManiac++

The original poster (Greg Garner?) later replied to me saying that he
discovered a mixed batch of 1.2 and 1.3 files on his disks and when he
switched to 100% 1.3 the problem went away.

-Tom
--

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (01/27/89)

}
}	I am also having this problem (crashing when unzooing on a FFS Hard
}disk).

If you own a Supra Hard Disk, get in touch with Supra Corp and
get their latest drivers for the thing.  There was a problem
with the coexistance of their drivers and FFS.  Basically,
there was a problem when reading onto odd byte boundaries.

Supra Corp.
1133 Commercial Way
Albany OR.  97321

Tech Support:  (503) 967-9081

brian moffet
--
Brian Moffet			{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucscc}!sco!brianm
 -or-				...sco!alar!brian

jal@wsu-cs (Jason Leigh) (02/17/89)

Does anyone know where I can get the source for zoo on UNIX from an
ftp site?

Thanks.

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/17/89)

In article <539@wsu-cs>, jal@wsu-cs (Jason Leigh) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get the source for zoo on UNIX from an
>ftp site?

The summary says it all.  Also, it was recently posted to
comp.sources.unix, so you might already have it.  Don't forget binary
mode!

	...tad