[comp.sys.amiga] amiga software

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (02/18/89)

      I'm one of those poor unfortunates who doesn't have an amiga (between     college, car insurance, taxes, and an expensive girlfriend, I can barely        afford to buy blank disks for my c128), but as soon as Publisher's Clearing     House, Ed McMahon, or the Delaware Lottery give me the money they owe me, I'll  be running out to buy a 2000.

      Anyway, I've been a "fan" of the amiga since the 1000 first came out,     and I constantly find myself arguing with narrow-minded PC-clones (the people,  not the machines....or both?) about the virtues of the amiga.  Even after I tell them about Desktop Video, and about the amiga's advanced sound & multitasking  abilities, they always say something like "Yeah, but what can you do on it      besides play games?"   They also claim (where their vast knowledge of the amiga comes from I'll never know) tha

t "multitasking only works with a few programs"  (at which point I usually begin to laugh rather loudly).
      But despite their closed minds and lack of much knowledge of the Amiga's  abilities, they do have a point that is agreed upon by not only PC people, but  amiga people too:  There just isn't a whole lot of professional quality         business-type software for the amiga.  This is about the only viable argument   the users of those "other" computers really have against the amiga.
      All the major software companies still seem to be ignoring the amiga,     despite its tremendously increased sales (though sales still aren't what they   should be).   Well, I have a suggestion for all you amiga netters and aspiring  amiga netters like me:  even if you have no use whatsoever for professional/bus-iness type programs, start writing to the companies that make them, and tell    them you want to see them ported to the amiga!!  (Actually, rather than porting them, they should start from sc

ratch and make them amiga-specific, but the cost of that would probably far outweigh the profits they'd make....there still isn'ta very big user base to sell to).  Anyway, next time you're in the middle of    downloading that huge file, switch it to the background, load up your word      processor, and write a letter (form letter even) that goes something like:
      Dear (company)
	I and manymanymanymany of my associates would truly love to see program X ported to the amiga......

	Most of the world still hasn't taken the amiga seriously.  They need to be convinced it's not just a next-generation c64.  The release of Lotus, or     of any of the other big-name titles (forgive me for not being knowledgeable     about the latest business software) would be a big step in the right direction. If just one big-name company gets enough letters to convince them to try out theamiga, others might just follow suit.   So write!!   I'm going to as soon as    figure out who to write to.  Anyone ca

re to join me?
	(While you're at it, write to BYTE and say I WANNA SEE MY GRAPHICS!!)

	Sorry if I've committed any FLAMEable offenses in this posting.
	If you happen to have any large stacks of money sitting around the house making a mess, feel free to contribute to the "Buy Don a 2000 before 2000"     fund :-}.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (02/18/89)

In article <2871@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald
R Lloyd) writes:

> I'm one of those poor unfortunates who doesn't have an amiga
>(between college, car insurance, taxes, and an expensive girlfriend, I
>can barely afford to buy blank disks for my c128), but as soon as
>Publisher's Clearing House, Ed McMahon, or the Delaware Lottery give
>me the money they owe me, I'll be running out to buy a 2000.

Give up the girlfriend.

Tom "It Worked For Me!" Limoncelli
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/18/89)

In article <Feb.17.19.09.31.1989.28160@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

>In article <2871@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald
>R Lloyd) writes:
>
>> I'm one of those poor unfortunates who doesn't have an amiga
>>(between college, car insurance, taxes, and an expensive girlfriend, I
>>can barely afford to buy blank disks for my c128), but as soon as
>>Publisher's Clearing House, Ed McMahon, or the Delaware Lottery give
>>me the money they owe me, I'll be running out to buy a 2000.
>
>Give up the girlfriend.
>
>Tom "It Worked For Me!" Limoncelli

Keep the girfriend. Give up college.

Richard "It worked for me!" Sexton.

Better yet, give up college, send me your girlfriend.

Richard "This sounds better all the time" Sexton

--
               Lotus Super Seven Series III.  Too fast to race.
   BYTE computer graphics photo layout cancelled.  Too many Amiga entries.