[comp.sys.amiga] graphing packages - bargraphs and such???

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) (02/17/89)

Anyone, anywhere know of a graphing package that does
bargraph and histograms?  It would also be nice if
one could include error bars...  Gee even 3D bar, netplots,
3D scatter (the ol ball and stick) and...

I only know of spreadsheets and one package called
impact (??) (egraph, and plot are x,y line graph).

*********** Anyone ever use Impact? *************

As for 3D graphics...??????????

The pc world certainly has harvard presentation graphics, chartmaster
sigma plot, grapher and the like...

What do people use in the scientific community when they have to get
fancy graphs on paper for journals?  (and they have an amiga).

I've been using PiCTeX on our unix machine but there has GOT to be an
easier way!

Help and information (options even) would be much appreciated!

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (02/17/89)

In article <1055@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:

>Anyone, anywhere know of a graphing package that does
>bargraph and histograms?  It would also be nice if
>one could include error bars...  Gee even 3D bar, netplots,
>3D scatter (the ol ball and stick) and...
>  < stuff deleted >
>What do people use in the scientific community when they have to get
>fancy graphs on paper for journals?  (and they have an amiga).
>  < stuff deleted >
>duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

I really hate giving RSN announcements, but even as we speak I am
working on a complete rewrite of a plotting package I wrote last
summer.  It won't include all of the options which you mention
(maybe a future revision), but it should help a bit with the obvious
lack of decent scientific software for the Amiga.  I'll keep y'all
posted on my progress.
		Kevin Dooley

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (02/20/89)

In article <1055@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:

> *********** Anyone ever use Impact? *************

I own Aegis Impact, but I don't use it that much.  Reasons:  Aegis
Impact only does 640 x 200 resolution; and the printer routines are so
poor that the text of printed graphs is almost illegible.  Further, I
bought this product 2 years ago, yet Aegis has never upgraded it.

If Aegis added 640 x 400 resolution and better printer drives to Aegis
Impact (like they did with Aegis Draw Plus), it would be a very
useable product.  It lets you easily create bar graphs and pie graphs
in nice-looking (on the monitor screen, anyway) 2D and 3D formats.
You can add text and icons to slides, etc.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.