[comp.sys.amiga] flakey amigas

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (02/14/89)

As much as I love our favorite machine, I have to confess that all my
amigas have been pretty flakey.  My A1000 had an excuse (evil phone
contractors poured fine grit on it -- the keyboard semi-recovered but
the drive never did) but my brand new B2000 should work just fine.  It
doesn't.  I keep reading about people who keep their machine on for
days at a time without rebooting: I'm lucky if I can run mine for a
couple of hours before it gurus on me.  Sometime's it's only a matter
of 15 minutes or so.

I keep getting guru number 00000003's and some 00000004's.  (I'm not
sure what those are -- I have the original RKMs and I could never make
heads or tails out of the exec/alerts.h listing).  I realize that the
machine has no memory protection, but if I run precisely one
application after rebooting, it shouldn't crash nearly as often.  If
it only happened when I tested custom programs, I could understand,
but popular game programs (such as Tetrix and RogerRabbit) do it so
much that sometimes it seems they are unplayable.

I have a B2000 w/ Commodore 2 Meg expansion, a 2090A running a FFS
SCSI drive, 1.3 ROMS and a Flicker-fixer.  Nothing weird, as you see.
Does my experience sound typical or is there something wrong with my
machine?  I do have a fast hard disk now, so this is less of a problem
than it used to be, but it's still really annoying to get Roger into
the gag factory only to have the machine spectacularly crash.

========
Darren Leigh -- I speak for myself, not the company.
Internet:  dleigh@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP:      hplabs!dleigh

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius Cisek) (02/16/89)

In article <2909@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM>, dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) writes:
> days at a time without rebooting: I'm lucky if I can run mine for a
> couple of hours before it gurus on me.  Sometime's it's only a matter
> of 15 minutes or so.

You  may  have  already tried this, but its a good idea to set the stack
size (via the STACK command) to something like 20000 (as opposed to  the
defualt 4000) AFTER the LoadWB in your s:startup-sequence.

Just a suggestion...

--
  //Another    Julius Andrew Cisek          jac423@leah.albany.edu
\X/ Amiga      Box 199, 325 Western Ave.    jac423@rachel.albany.edu

In article <2909@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> dleigh@hplabsz.UUCP (Darren Leigh) writes:
|I keep reading about people who keep their machine on for
|days at a time without rebooting: I'm lucky if I can run mine for a
|couple of hours before it gurus on me.  Sometime's it's only a matter
|of 15 minutes or so.
|
|I keep getting guru number 00000003's and some 00000004's.

You likely have a bad RAM chip.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (02/21/89)

In article <2909@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> dleigh@hplabsz.UUCP (Darren Leigh) writes:
>[...] my brand new B2000 should work just fine.  It
>doesn't.  I keep reading about people who keep their machine on for
>days at a time without rebooting: I'm lucky if I can run mine for a
>couple of hours before it gurus on me.  Sometime's it's only a matter
>of 15 minutes or so.
>
>I keep getting guru number 00000003's and some 00000004's.  I realize that the
>machine has no memory protection, but if I run precisely one
>application after rebooting, it shouldn't crash nearly as often.  If
>it only happened when I tested custom programs, I could understand,
>but popular game programs (such as Tetrix and RogerRabbit) do it so
>much that sometimes it seems they are unplayable.
>
>I have a B2000 w/ Commodore 2 Meg expansion, a 2090A running a FFS
>SCSI drive, 1.3 ROMS and a Flicker-fixer.  Nothing weird, as you see.

Well, my brand new B2000 seems to be having similar trouble.  It ran
fine until I put a GVP controller with ST277N drive into the machine.
[There are no other cards plugged in.]  It wouldn't format any
partitions larger than about 260 cylinders, getting that far then
hanging [once it gurued #03] -- it didn't matter whether the partition
was first, last or somewhere in the middle.  About 25% of the time, it
hung at boot, whether or not there was a bootable system on the hard
disk, and whether or not there was a boot disk in the floppy.  After a
variable amount of time during a session, it stopped talking to the hard
drive, although the rest of the system seemed to work fine.  This was
with the controller in the rightmost slot, with the front of the
machine facing you.  I moved it to the next slot, and now, although none
of these problems have recurred, certain software packages don't work
right; one game won't restart, hanging the machine instead, while
another gurus at start up (#03 again); a utility gets confused about which
drive it's talking to.   Now, I don't mean to be picky :-),
but I'd like to know exactly what the problem is so that I can have it
fixed and get myself a reliable machine.

For example, can anyone confirm that the Zorro bus slots are pin-for-pin
identical?  If they are, then it would be hard to believe that
the GVP card is at fault, since its behaviour changes dependent on the
slot it's in.  [I haven't tried it in any of the other slots yet, but
then, I don't believe it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference.]

[btw, GVP autoboots, FFS, WB1.3, KS 1.3]

--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217