[comp.sys.amiga] DEcartes and Mabndelbrot

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (02/19/89)

Can anyone tell me the status of Decartes?  It's a neat 2-D graphics
program that hass al sorts of graphing optins, I saw version 1.0 of
it somewhere.  Is it commercial?  Freeware?  Shareware?  Anyone know?

Also, what is the best current pd/feeware/sharware Mandelbrot generator,
and where can I get it?

Thanks!

ARPA:    rlcarr@athena.mit.edu
UUCP:    {wherever}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!rlcarr
BITNET:  rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@MITVMA.mit.edu

* Rich Carreiro                 "Back off man, I'm a scientist."              *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                - Dr. Peter Venkman                    *

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/21/89)

In article <9321@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
>Can anyone tell me the status of Decartes?  It's a neat 2-D graphics
>program that hass al sorts of graphing optins, I saw version 1.0 of
>it somewhere.  Is it commercial?  Freeware?  Shareware?  Anyone know?

I have Descartes version 1.0.  To my knowledge, that is the most recent
version.  It is a commercial product, marketed by Mindware.  I paid
about $35 for it.

Descartes does a decent job at plotting equations, letting you plot
multiple lines, and in multiple colors, use trig and hyperbolic
functions; it will do derivatives (in closed form, not numeric
solutions).  With the 1.3 printer drivers, you can even get some decent
printed output.  It's still bitmap output, though, so you have to
experiment, and your choices will be limited.

Don't expect to use it for plotting data, as it can't generate plots
using input data.  It also has no provisions for adding legends, labels,
or titles.  Just numbers and tic marks on the axes.  This is its major
shortcomming, in my opinion.

It also does some Very Bad Things with regard to proper Amiga
programming.  It busy-waits, even when waiting for requester input,
slowing down the system needlessly.  I run it at priority -1 to get
around that.  It also has some hard-coded paths, which I patched using
NewZap so I could use it more conveniently on my hard disk.

I'd call it an okay first try.  I'd love to see it fixed and upgraded,
but I haven't heard anything to that effect.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (02/22/89)

In article <9321@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
>Can anyone tell me the status of Decartes?  It's a neat 2-D graphics
>program that hass al sorts of graphing optins, I saw version 1.0 of
>it somewhere.  Is it commercial?  Freeware?  Shareware?  Anyone know?
>
>Also, what is the best current pd/feeware/sharware Mandelbrot generator,
>and where can I get it?

Try MandelVroom on the Fish disks.  I release this program (source and
all) to Fred over a year an a half ago.  It is very fast using a special
fixed point math generator.  It also has a powerful picture coloration
mechanism.  The new version is MUCH MUCH nicer and will be released to
comp.sources.amiga within a month.  email me if you want to be a beta
tester.

>* Rich Carreiro                 "Back off man, I'm a scientist."              *
>* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                - Dr. Peter Venkman                    *

Kevin
--
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]