[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga/UUCP

richard@panchax.UUCP (Richard J. Sexton) (02/16/89)

I've been corresponding with several people Re: amiga UUCP and it is clear
that there is duplication of effort going on here.

Do you people have any intrest in an Amiga/UUCP developers/users
mailing list.

Mail me your thoughts on the subject. I will reply to each one
using the same path it came on, so if you don't get a reply
keep trying; it means I never got it.

--
          ``No Timmy, Lassie can't hear you.  He's stone deaf, son.''
decwrl!gryphon!panchax!richard                    richard@panchax.gryphon.COM

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (02/21/89)

In Message <0309.AA0309@panchax>, richard@panchax.UUCP (Richard J. Sexton) writes:

>I've been corresponding with several people Re: amiga UUCP and it is clear
>that there is duplication of effort going on here.
>
>Do you people have any intrest in an Amiga/UUCP developers/users
>mailing list.

   Are you refering to efforts on Amiga UUCP/UseNet & UUPC or simply Amiga
   UUCP/UseNet ?

   Reason I ask is because my roll in the Amiga UUCP/UseNet project is basicly
   that of software coordinator. The software is/was written by several people
   (myself, Bill Loftus, Fred Cassirer, Fred Walter, Davis Lai, and many many
   others). I simply make any required edits so it will compile under Lattice
   5.0, and made sure all parts work as promised and live happily together.

   Currently im preparing "compressed news", a new Stevie (that can be RUN),
   a revised MAIL command with command line options, and a set of programs
   that allow users with UNIX accounts but no UUCP account to use Amiga
   UUCP/UseNet as an upgrade (Look for it in about two weeks or so. I just
   finished writing the compressed news and want to test it first ;-).

   Due to some upcomming projects and deadlines I have, the idea of a mailing
   list would be a great help to me. Im not sure how much time I will have to
   devote to the project and ive made the decision to step down as the project
   coordinator. A mailing list will keep things together and be a big support
   to the project. Any volunteers for Amiga UUCP/UseNet project coordinator?

   Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/22/89)

In article <7052.AA7052@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>   Are you refering to efforts on Amiga UUCP/UseNet & UUPC or simply Amiga
>   UUCP/UseNet ?

Yikes. I'm talking about the stuff I picked up off your BBS. Maybe
we should call it ``Fred''.

>   Reason I ask is because my roll in the Amiga UUCP/UseNet project is basicly
>   that of software coordinator. The software is/was written by several people
>   (myself, Bill Loftus, Fred Cassirer, Fred Walter, Davis Lai, and many many
>   others). I simply make any required edits so it will compile under Lattice
>   5.0, and made sure all parts work as promised and live happily together.

Uh, yeah. We have to talk about that :-)  The people I've been talking to
are usng Manx. Perhaps we could have some conditional compilation stuff.
The only different I've noticed are Manx didnt have some of the more
esoteric string functions, and we had to pass ``system()'' stuff
to ``Execute''.  Apart form that it seems t owork fine.

>   Currently im preparing "compressed news",

This is certainly good news. REAL GOOD NEWS.

>                                           a new Stevie (that can be RUN),

Stevie is kinda slow, compared to avi, but avi READ.ME states it
``can be flakey'' with files over 150K. Sigh. Perhaps the new stevie
is faster. Certainly holding down the j key gave you time to go
get lunch while waiting for it to catch up. Avi on the other hand
is faster than Z.

Having an environment variable to select an editor is one idea
we've tossed around.

>   a revised MAIL command with command line options,

I've made some changes to mail myself. This is gona be the usual
source code configuration nightmare.

>   Due to some upcomming projects and deadlines I have, the idea of a mailing
>   list would be a great help to me. Im not sure how much time I will have to
>   devote to the project and ive made the decision to step down as the project
>   coordinator. A mailing list will keep things together and be a big support
>   to the project. Any volunteers for Amiga UUCP/UseNet project coordinator?

Yeah, somebody with a Manx compiler :-)

--
               Lotus Super Seven Series III.  Too fast to race.
   BYTE computer graphics photo layout cancelled.  Too many Amiga entries.