[comp.sys.amiga] Power supply from Ami???

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) (02/22/89)

Hi guys,

I'm currently taking digital lab.  The course requires that you build
a circuit at home and come into lab and test it with a power supply.
I also realised that the ports on the back of the Ami have pins with
+5V, gnd and -5V which I require. I also need about 5 inputs (say
a,b,c,d and e which can be either on {5V} or off {gnd}). Is it true that
the parallel port has seven pins which could be used for this purpose?
Now the questions.

Is it safe to do the above?
Is it indeed better to use the parallel port? My serial is taken!
Is there software that allows you to set the pins on high or low already
out there?
If not which language would be ideally suited to do this kind of stuff
on?

Any warnings, comments, prog. examples, flames, are welcome to

Thanks folks.
Bin

In article <9285@louie.udel.EDU>, BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) writes:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm currently taking digital lab.  The course requires that you build
> a circuit at home and come into lab and test it with a power supply.
> I also realised that the ports on the back of the Ami have pins with
> +5V, gnd and -5V which I require. I also need about 5 inputs (say
> a,b,c,d and e which can be either on {5V} or off {gnd}). Is it true that
> the parallel port has seven pins which could be used for this purpose?
> Now the questions.
>
> Is it safe to do the above?

Don't use your Ami for this! One bad circuit and you could damage your
Amiga's power supply.

Go to radio-shack and buy a power supply. It's worth the money. better yet:
get some parts and build your own power supply. All you need is a transformer,
voltage regulator, a capacitor and a resistor.

Don't risk your amiga.

--
John Sparks      // Amiga  |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks
               \X/  UUCP   |  >> call D.I.S.K. @ 502/968-5401 thru 5406 <<

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.