[comp.sys.amiga] Bridge cards

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (07/10/88)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <4720@gryphon.CTS.COM>, bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) says:
>
>> How about a C-64 Bridgecard OR an Apple Bridgecard?
>
>I wouldn't even bother with an Apple Bridgecard.

Yegads.  I know Amigans hate the Apple software base.  For that matter I agree
save for some programs that software companies WON'T produce for the Amiga
that I would like to run.  These are Infocom's Comicbook style stories and
Mecca's Managing Your Money.  I'd rather have access to the Apple software
base then the C= machines any day.

>A C-64 on a card is certain _possible_.  Though I suspect you'd find that
>it would either cost alot more than a C64, or not be very compatible, based

The fact that an Apple or C-64 would cost less then a bridgecard wasn't the
point.  I have had computers spread across my table tops and it isn't space
effective.  I am not trying to make an argument of this but I don't understand
why it would not be a great seller if the Amiga could run Apples sofware base
just like we can run the IBM PC base?  Perhaps I should settle for IBM's base?

>> Bill
>Dave Haynie

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (02/21/89)

I have a few questions which I'm sure sometime or another have been answered
before, but I need to ask since I now have a need to know.

First off, can the current bridge card address the full 640K of RAM?
Does the board have a socket for an 8087?  What clock speeds do they
run?

When will the new 80286 bridge card be released?  Will it have a socket
for an 80287?  What clock speeds will they run?  Will the software
support the Microsoft mouse?  What graphics modes are supported by the
card itself?  Can it support VGA with an add on card?  Most importantly,
will the price of the AT bridge card be substantially less than an AT
clone?

Please send email.  If enough people want to know, I'll summarize and
post it to the net.

Many thanks.
--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom MKT) (02/23/89)

In article <55@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
$First off, can the current bridge card address the full 640K of RAM?

Yes.

$Does the board have a socket for an 8087?  What clock speeds do they
$run?

Yes, and not sure.

$When will the new 80286 bridge card be released?  Will it have a socket
$for an 80287?  What clock speeds will they run?

Soon, yes, and not sure.

$Will the software support the Microsoft mouse?

Amiga mouse will emulate a Microsoft mouse.

$What graphics modes are supported by the card itself?

The card has only video RAM (for MDA or CGA), and no video circuitry.
The Amiga emulates MDA and CGA.

$Can it support VGA with an add on card?

Yes.

$Most importantly, will the price of the AT bridge card be substantially less
$than an AT clone?

Depends on the clone - probably.

	Paul.