[comp.sys.amiga] Writing Amiga articles for BYTE

GIGUERE@WATCSG.BITNET (Eric Giguere) (02/23/89)

Disclaimer:  My employers don't do Amiga development so obviously
             I'm not speaking for them...

Wes Plouff (plouff@levers.dec.com) writes:

> Totaro went on to say that he believed the changes in 1987-88 had
> improved the magazine and redefined, but not narrowed, its focus.

Now the question which comes to my mind:  will someone PLEASE tell
me what BYTE's focus IS, besides selling advertising?  Many years
ago when I started writing articles BYTE was a very techie/hardware-
oriented magazine and so didn't fit my interests... then it went
all PC (with the occasional Mac issue) and again it didn't fit my
interests.... Now: ???  They certainly do a LOT of reviews/previews.
I would like to figure out what kind of audience is reading the
magazine now.  It seems to me that the techies and developers only
read it to criticize it now...

>                          ... Amiga has to be shown to be valuable
> to "industry leaders" as a machine capable of real work.  Write
> articles!  The worst Byte can say to an article is "No, thanks."

Yeah, but just think... they reject you and accept Pournelle's
stuff... can you stand that kind of humiliation? :-)

> Is this wishful thinking?  Anyone care to post their rejection slips?
> I think Amiga coverage in Byte is worth having in order to spread
> recognition of the machine.  Comments invited.

Sure it would be nice, but again it's a matter of writing for the
magazine's audience.  The stuff I write tends to be more suited for
publication in the TransAmi and similar magazines, the ones that have
a real commitment to the Amiga and aren't afraid to print (gasp) source
code (in C even!).  Even AmigaWorld.... heck, it's fluff, but the
audience is easily identifiable.

But it might be worth a try.... if we could get a dozen or more of
us working on different articles and send them in to BYTE at about the
same time, one of them might make it in...  If you have article
ideas you don't plan to develop yourself, post them on the net.  We
might be able to organize something.

Eric Giguere
Computer Systems Group, University of Waterloo

BITNET: GIGUERE@WATCSG      Other: GIGUERE@WATCSG.UWATERLOO.CA