[comp.sys.amiga] Uses of a 1080 monitor

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (02/20/89)

Last night, I was trying to hook up a VCR to my 1080 monitor.  Being ignorant
of possible problems, (I want to use the VCR to watch television and movies)
I disconnected all computer related paraphenalia from the monitor.  Changing
the mode to video composite and hooking up the cables from the VCR to 1080,
Viola I can watch TV again.

   My questions are these, when I have the computer hooked up and running,
can I change the mode to composite video and watch the tube if I'm waiting
for something to happen on the Amiga?  Do I need to have the cable from the
Amiga disconnected to safely watch my favorite movie rental?  What is the
easiest (read least expensive) way to record composite color video out
from the Amiga if I'm running a simulation or something?

   Well, for anyone with some answers, please e-mail me.

Thanks,
Bill Murphy
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

451061%UOTTAWA.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Valentin Pepelea) (02/22/89)

"William J. Murphy" <murphy@pur-phy> writes in Message-ID: <1992@pur-phy>

> Last night, I was trying to hook up a VCR to my 1080 monitor.  Being ignorant
> of possible problems, (I want to use the VCR to watch television and movies)
> I disconnected all computer related paraphenalia from the monitor.  Changing

>     My questions are these, when I have the computer hooked up and running,
> can I change the mode to composite video and watch the tube if I'm waiting
> for something to happen on the Amiga?  Do I need to have the cable from the
> Amiga disconnected to safely watch my favorite movie rental?  What is the
> easiest (read least expensive) way to record composite color video out
> from the Amiga if I'm running a simulation or something?

Don't worry about anything, you may have both your computer and VCR connected
simoultaneously and flip between them as you please. As a poor student I have
been forced to use my 1080 monitor like this for years. But there are no
regrets, the image on a 1080 monitor is better than 90% of 14 inch television
sets out there.

The easiest way to record the output of your Amiga is to plug its composite
output to the composite input of the VCR. If the colors that get recorded on
the VCR are bleeding, use a low quality cable between the two. That seems to
cool down the Amiga composite output. It worked for me, so it should work for
you. Ah, and if you don't have an Amiga 1000, then you'll have to buy a
composite output modulator. There are a couple of companies selling those for
the Amiga; the modulator plugs right into the RGB port.

Valentin

(sorry, email bounced like a Boing! ball)

"An  operating  system  without         Name: Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating         Phone: (613) 233-1821
 system without virtue."                Bitnet: 451061@uottawa
                                        Usenet: Look at the header
         - Ancient Inca Proverb         Planet: Ontario!Canada!Earth

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (02/23/89)

[ Do you feed the boogie man? Then why do you feed the line eater? ]

In Message <1992@pur-phy>, murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) writes:

>Last night, I was trying to hook up a VCR to my 1080 monitor.  Being ignorant
>of possible problems, (I want to use the VCR to watch television and movies)
>I disconnected all computer related paraphenalia from the monitor.  Changing
>the mode to video composite and hooking up the cables from the VCR to 1080,
>Viola I can watch TV again.

  Boy thats alot of work, I hope the show was worth it ;-)

>   My questions are these, when I have the computer hooked up and running,
>can I change the mode to composite video and watch the tube if I'm waiting
>for something to happen on the Amiga?  Do I need to have the cable from the
>Amiga disconnected to safely watch my favorite movie rental?  What is the
>easiest (read least expensive) way to record composite color video out
>from the Amiga if I'm running a simulation or something?

  Just stick the ol video from that VCR in the "video in" port! No need to
  disconnect anything. I have heimat connected via the 9-pin port and BERKS
  AMIGA BBS connected via the "video in" port. That way I can just flip a
  switch and see whats going on where. plus if there is that really good
  show on tv (like Dr Who -or- the Yankees ;-), I have a genlock installed
  in heimat so I can watch tv while I work. Or is that through my work....

  Ive been using a genlock to watch tv & work since the beta models for the
  1000 were available. Only thing I miss with the 2000 genlock is the ability
  to merge audio. So like me you may need a switchbox or second amp. for the
  audio from that vcr.

  Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691