[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 Bus Noise / Power Consumption

Bruce_Eric_Bowers@cup.portal.com (02/24/89)

I recently purchased a used CLtd SCSI controller and hard drive for my
Amiga 1000. I also have a StarBoard 2 with 2M.

Whenever I have both the StarBoard and the controller installed, my
system crashes frequently (every few minutes). The controller without the
StarBoard, or the StarBoard without the controller, seems to work OK.
When I got my Starboard a year or two ago, I had to ground the chips
on my daughterboard to reduce bus noise and keep the system from crashing.
I think that with the additional device on the expansion bus, I need to
do something more. I have three questions:

  1) There is some other modification I have heard of somewhere, which
     (I think) involves putting filter capacitors on the power lines
     of the expansion bus to further reduce bus noise. Does anyone know
     the specifics? What size capacitors, connected how? I am not very
     comfortable making hardware changes without very specific
     instructions.

  2) Is it possible that instead of bus noise, power consumption is my
     problem? The controller pull 450 ma. I don't know how much the
     StarBoard pulls.

  3) Does anyone out there in net-land have both a StarBoard 2 and a
     CLtd controller working on an A1000?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

Bruce Bowers

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/27/89)

<
<  3) Does anyone out there in net-land have both a StarBoard 2 and a
<     CLtd controller working on an A1000?

Yes, me.  I even have two external floppies on it.  Everything runs
fine.  I never even had to ground my PALs.

C.Ltd sells replacement PALs that are supposed to fix some problems
present in the C= supplied ones.  Perhaps these would help you.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (02/28/89)

>I recently purchased a used CLtd SCSI controller and hard drive for my
>Amiga 1000. I also have a StarBoard 2 with 2M.
>
>Whenever I have both the StarBoard and the controller installed, my
>system crashes frequently (every few minutes). The controller without the
>StarBoard, or the StarBoard without the controller, seems to work OK.
>When I got my Starboard a year or two ago, I had to ground the chips
>on my daughterboard to reduce bus noise and keep the system from crashing.
>I think that with the additional device on the expansion bus, I need to
>do something more. I have three questions:
>
>  1) There is some other modification I have heard of somewhere, which
>     (I think) involves putting filter capacitors on the power lines
>     of the expansion bus to further reduce bus noise. Does anyone know
>     the specifics? What size capacitors, connected how? I am not very
>     comfortable making hardware changes without very specific
>     instructions.
Brad Fowles, I believe, posted something a month or so ago which he said
came from Microbotics, concerning a bus terminator.  It consists of a
three-component network, replicated 20 times.  Each network is: 4.7K ohm
resistor to +5, and 1K ohm resistor in series with .001 microfarad capacitor
to ground.  The networks go on each data line, and UDS, LDS, R/W, and AS.
These are pins 63, 65, 67-72, 74-84, and 86 on the expansion connector.
You can pick up ground on pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 13, 25, 37, 49, 61, 73 and 85,
and +5 is on 5 and 6.  It's easy to build the terminator on an 86-pin
edge connector (socket) that just plugs onto the end of the bus, provided
all (both) you expansion devices have pass-through.  See below for my own
testimonial...

>  2) Is it possible that instead of bus noise, power consumption is my
>     problem? The controller pull 450 ma. I don't know how much the
>     StarBoard pulls.
>
>  3) Does anyone out there in net-land have both a StarBoard 2 and a
>     CLtd controller working on an A1000?
I don't, personally, but I had the same problem getting two StarBoard 2's
working at the same time.  And adding the bus terminator made it all
work just fine.

>Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.
>
>Bruce Bowers
You are welcome.
Tom Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com