[comp.sys.amiga] Color printers

adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) (01/08/88)

I want to buy a color printer for my Amiga 1000 (Parallel interface).
Originally, everyone who had a color printer seemed to have either the
Okimate (?) ribbon-wasting thermal printer, or the Canon PJ-1080A inkjet.
I don't want the Okimate because of the ribbon-wasting, and I can't find
a dealer that carries the PJ-1080A.  I called Canon, they put me in
touch with a distributor who will sell me the PJ-1080A.  The thing lists
for $699, their price is $528 (or $480 if I am a dealer, which I'm not).
Even DAK's version of the PJ-1080A (the Quadram QuadJet) is $500.
But I remember the price quotes from a year back as being MUCH lower!

Does anyone have a handle on a lower price (about $300) for the PJ-1080A?
Any experiences with Color dot-matrix printers?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If your reply steers me to the printer I end up purchasing, I'll digitize
(Digi-View) and print up six images of your choosing (and supplying!).

Thanks,
Adam Levin
Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory
Route 9 West
Palisades, NY  10964
(914) 359-2900 x340

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (01/11/88)

In article <276@lamont.Columbia.edu> adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) writes:
>I don't want the Okimate because of the ribbon-wasting, and I can't find
>a dealer that carries the PJ-1080A.  I called Canon, they put me in
>touch with a distributor who will sell me the PJ-1080A.  The thing lists
>for $699, their price is $528 (or $480 if I am a dealer, which I'm not).
>Even DAK's version of the PJ-1080A (the Quadram QuadJet) is $500.
>But I remember the price quotes from a year back as being MUCH lower!

You might want to put a message up on your local IBM PC boards for the
Quadram/Canon/Radio_Shack/etc Color Ink jet printer. It is a very nice
and reliable unit and is very inexpensive to operate. As to the cheap
prices, about a year and a half ago, they were being liquidated for
around $150 to $200. We sold quite a few of them for $219 and then DAK
went and bought out all the inventory from Quadram for under
$120/unit. I think they are bundling a lot of IBM PC hardware and
software with the quadram to make it look more attractive to IBM PC
people, but all that stuff is somewhat of a waste for ST and Amiga
owners (we already have paint programs coming out of our ears). Maybe
you could call DAK and offer $300 for just the printer or something...

  -Todd Burkey
   trb@stag.UUCP

MFM1%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (mark masters) (02/28/89)

All that talk of color printers made me get the urge to pry open the old
wallet and buy a new printer, preferably color.  (My old one is a star
sg 10, it even needs a new ribbon :))  Anyhow does any one know of a
nice color printer which is affordable, ie. under $500.00, all
recomendations will be greatly appreciated.

Mark
<mfm1@lehigh.bitnet>