[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Video

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) (04/30/87)

     I was quite puzzled by the presence of the "half-bright" mode in the
Amiga.  If one extra bit-plane is used to get the extra shades, why not
just use it to get twice as many colors as present in lo-res mode?  Surely
this will be lot more flexible than the half-bright mode.....  Anyone care
to comment on this?

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!yuan
ARPA: uhccux!yuan@nosc.ARPA                       INTERNET: yuan@UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

farren@hoptoad.UUCP (05/01/87)

In article <456@uhccux.UUCP> yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) writes:

>     I was quite puzzled by the presence of the "half-bright" mode in the
>Amiga.  If one extra bit-plane is used to get the extra shades, why not
>just use it to get twice as many colors as present in lo-res mode?  Surely
>this will be lot more flexible than the half-bright mode.....  Anyone care
>to comment on this?

Sure, why not?  Because you would have to double the number of color
registers and their associated logic, and presumably this was too
expensive in terms of custom chip real estate.
--
----------------
                 "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

In article <456@uhccux.UUCP> yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) writes:

>     I was quite puzzled by the presence of the "half-bright" mode in the
>Amiga.  If one extra bit-plane is used to get the extra shades, why not
>just use it to get twice as many colors as present in lo-res mode?  Surely
>this will be lot more flexible than the half-bright mode.....  Anyone care
>to comment on this?

According to my sources, half-brite was added as a way to extend the number
of colors without making changes too large at the point in time the feature
was added.

Using the extra bit-plane in the straight forward way would have required
doubling the size of the color lookup table which would have caused serious
chip layout problems and would have used up all or allmost all the available
chip register addresses.

	I think half-bright mode was added as an afterthought.  Otherwise
they would simply have had 64 color registers.

				-Matt

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (05/20/88)

	Just for information sake.

	In the latest issue of Amazing Computing, there is going to be
availble, an Amiga genlock which makes use of S connector for use
with S-VHS and ED Beta.

	It's called GEN/ONE. Cost is $895.00 retail. Availability is June 88.

	The company is:

	Communications Specialties Inc.
	6090 Jericho Turnpike
	Commack, NY 11725

	(516) 499-0907

	Should be good news to you Amiga Videophiles.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business!)

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (02/18/89)

Whats the developement on the new video standard for the Amiga?  Are they going
be supporting the VGA and EGA standard?

On Multitasking:

I am a hardcore PC fan.  Although I hate to admit it, the primary reason for
me being interested in the Amiga is because of its PC compatibility.  The other
reason is its Multi-tasking abilities.  I can understand PC users being obstinant because they have a machine with such features.  I would like to think I am
an exception since before I was considering buying the amiga I was going to
purchase an Inboard 386 for my PC.  (this is still in effect except that I am
going to put the board in the Amiga :-)

	Sri

king@client1.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (02/23/89)

In article <1385@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:
>Whats the developement on the new video standard for the Amiga?  Are they going
>be supporting the VGA and EGA standard?

Oh, how I hope not!!! EGA would be a definite retrogressive move, and VGA,
well, I think we could do better than that. Let's wait a year and get HDTV
support. That would be much more in line with the Amiga philosophy.

>I am a hardcore PC fan.

Nobody's perfect. You have my sympathies.

--
{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!zorac!dretor!king  |  king%dretor@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (02/24/89)

In article <1385@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:
>Whats the developement on the new video standard for the Amiga?  Are they going
>be supporting the VGA and EGA standard?
 [stuff about multitasking and PC's deleted]
>	Sri

What new graphic standard?  Has something been happening that I have yet to
hear about?

I doubt that the Amiga itself will ever use either of those formats because
they (esp. EGA) represent a step backwards in technology.  What is more
likely is that EGA and maybe VGA will be supported on some future bridgecard.

                                       Chris Douty
                                 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
with SILLY_QOUTE;  use SILLY_QUOTE;

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (02/27/89)

In article <1457@client1.dciem.dnd.ca> king@client1.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:

>>I am a hardcore PC fan.
>
>Nobody's perfect. You have my sympathies.

Yeah, but I am hardcore Amiga fan too.  So where does that leave me?

	Sri

pmy@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu (Pete Yadlowsky) (02/27/89)

In article <1538@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:

->>I am a hardcore PC fan.

->Nobody's perfect. You have my sympathies.

-Yeah, but I am hardcore Amiga fan too.  So where does that leave me?

I don't know, but it leaves me confused.

Peter M. Yadlowsky
Academic Computing Center
University of Virginia
pmy@Virginia.EDU

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/28/89)

In article <1538@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:
> Yeah, but I am hardcore Amiga fan too.  So where does that leave me?

Uhh, making dubious postings to comp.sys.amiga?  (...like this one.)
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Everyone has a purpose in life.  Perhaps yours is
-- karl@sugar.uu.net |  watching television."  -- David Letterman