[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga graphics

Leonard_S._Li.ESCP8@xerox.com (04/25/87)

From: LLi.ESCP8@xerox.com

Amiga graphics is less interesting now that both IBM PS/2 and Mac II
will have 640x480 noninterlaced graphics.  Is Amiga planning on having
something with that resolution?

Leonard Li
Xerox

In article <1576@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU> Leonard_S._Li.ESCP8@xerox.com writes:
>From: LLi.ESCP8@xerox.com
>
>Amiga graphics is less interesting now that both IBM PS/2 and Mac II
>will have 640x480 noninterlaced graphics.  Is Amiga planning on having
>something with that resolution?

It's something we're concerned about.  It's easy to address in terms of
a plug-in board for the A2000, much more of a problem with regard to the
basic system graphics capability for the whole family.

UD118191@NDSUVM1.BITNET (04/27/87)

OK sir...how about the Amiga's capabilities of OVERSCAN (or Fullvideo)
graphics? Doesn't anyone care about this unique and beautiful, yet UNDER-
DOCUMENTED feature of the A1000? This is GREAT for broadcasting people like
myself...I mean, it is a pleasant scene NOT to have a border around my
weather maps when doing TV weather because of the OVERSCAN mode! Now all I
need is about 5 more bitplanes added to my 704 X 480 graphics! Now THAT would
be nice!
* Brendan Larson, KCNN Weather                                              *
*   Weather-Buffs Co.-->>"Dedicated to expanding the horizons of the Amiga!  *
*                                                                             *
*   UD118191@NDSUVM1.BITNET                                                  *

Thyss@cup.portal.com (Brian TT Fudge) (02/28/89)

An interesting topic came up while I was talking to a friend about computers.  He
started telling me about the 8159/a Ibm graphics standard <or something close to
those numbers>.

He told me that this card could do 800x600 with 256 colors (or was it 128?), and
1024x(some big number here) with 128 colors or so.  Is this true? Can this be done?

I know amigas can only do about half of 800x600 with only 64 colors <halfbrite>.
Is anything being done to change this?  The amiga IS supposed to be a graphics
machine isn't it?

If there is something like this who makes something to do it?  Where can I get it?
How much would it cost?  Do any programs support it?

thyss@cup.portal.com