[comp.sys.amiga] 68020 BindDrivers gurus

joostv@philce.UUCP (Joost Vroonhoven) (02/23/89)

Dear CATS, DOGS and other netters,

I've had this "problem" for some time now. I can live with it but
I would like to know the WHY of this ....

My Configuration is A2000B, A2058 with 2M, A2088 with 20M Hardcard,
68020/68881 daugtherboard in 68000 socket.
I run KS 1.2 V33.180 and WB 1.3 V 34.20.
Startup-sequence like :
	SetPatch		/* WB 1.3 */
	SetCPU			/* By Dave Haynie V1.3 */
	decigel			/* Patch Privilege Violation vector */
	FastMemFirst	/* WB 1.3 */
	BindDrivers		/* WB 1.3 */

When booting my A2000 it executes BindDrivers (PC card drive light lights),
so it seems BindDrivers is finished,
and then a "Software Error, Task Held".
Examining with ROMWack shows a PC at 0x40000 with A6 0xc00038
task c05058 (the Initial CLI) and USP-4 pointing to a JSR -d2(a6).
(if a6 was SysBase that would be FreeMem).

This occurs frequently on a cold boot and sometimes on a warm boot.
I have no viruses.

Reproduction is rather difficult since it (appearently) depends
on the phase of the moon.
Even more interesting: the error occurred also with WB 1.2 V 33.56 when
I didn't had the A2058!
Using ROMWack the PC was 20000 , so it seems BindDrivers jumps
to (the address of the last installed (or PC) card) << 4 !!!!!!!!!!

During the last week I read postings of three other people who had similar
problems with their A2500, so maybe BindDrivers doesn't always know
what to do when running on a 68020 ??

Here are the summarized messages of the others, since they may be helpful :

From: COIL%IGL2@eng.ohio-state.edu (Stacy D. Coil)
*I have a friend who has a 2500.  He has been having problems with it a cold
*start. Here is what it does. First it gives a software error, then it freezes
*up and gives a guru message. Then by clicking the left mouse button, it boots.
Stacy (MisTer C)
 HP28s			Coil-S@Eng.Eng.Ohio-State.edu

From: 8642420@wwu.edu (eric cosky)
*	Sometimes when I cold boot my 2500 it will guru #00000004; when I
*ctl-amiga-amiga it it boots fine. It seems to guru right around the time
*it binddrivers my 2090... Is this a known bug?
-eric cosky
InterNet: 8642420@wwu.edu
ATT: 206-733-1331

From: kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague)
*I have the same problem with my 2000 and my 2090A.
*I have:
   *B2000 with autoboot ROMs
   *2090A with Quantum Prodrive 80S SCSI drive
   *Commodore 8 meg board with 2 meg installed.
   *AmigaDOS 1.3
*Since I leave my machine on most of the time, it is not too huge a
*problem, but it would be nice to know what's happeneing.
Kevin
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

Who of the Amiga Wizards can tell us more on this ??

(PS. If I get interesting E-Mail I'll summarize)

Joost.

|          / // /                                     |
|         / // /   AMIGA  FEVER                       |
|   \ \\ / // /      catch it!         Joost          |
|    \ \/ // /                           van          |
|     \/ // /     Since only Amiga....     Vroonhoven |
joostv@philce.UUCP @ Philips Consumer Electronics APL-4

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (02/28/89)

In article <310@philce.UUCP> joostv@philce.UUCP (Joost Vroonhoven) writes:
>Dear CATS, DOGS and other netters,
>
>I've had this "problem" for some time now. I can live with it but
>I would like to know the WHY of this ....
>
>My Configuration is A2000B, A2058 with 2M, A2088 with 20M Hardcard,
>68020/68881 daugtherboard in 68000 socket.
>I run KS 1.2 V33.180 and WB 1.3 V 34.20.
>When booting my A2000 it executes BindDrivers (PC card drive light lights),
>so it seems BindDrivers is finished,
>and then a "Software Error, Task Held".
>Examining with ROMWack shows a PC at 0x40000 with A6 0xc00038

That's what happens with the current Bridge card software
if the card fails to bind.  (possibly loose in the slot,
giving intermittent connection, the PC side fails to reset,
the janus library startup code not starting up for whatever
reason)  It has been fixed in the 2.0 version of janus
library (available somehow rsn)
>During the last week I read postings of three other people who had similar
>problems with their A2500, so maybe BindDrivers doesn't always know
>what to do when running on a 68020 ??
>
>Here are the summarized messages of the others, since they may be helpful :

No, their problems seem very different.  I don't know why
they are having problems...I can tell what your problem is, though.
Hmmm...you might want to make sure the contacts on your bridge
card are clean, as well.
		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (03/01/89)

in article <310@philce.UUCP>, joostv@philce.UUCP (Joost Vroonhoven) says:

> When booting my A2000 it executes BindDrivers (PC card drive light lights),
> so it seems BindDrivers is finished,
> and then a "Software Error, Task Held".

Hmmmm...  The only thing that comes to mind sounds very much like a problem
I had a while back.  Every so often, for some reason unexplainable for some
time, my A2620-equipped system would guru on startup.  It was a tough one to
track down, because it wasn't frequent enough to just start removing hardware
or software influences unless I wanted to be without them for an extended
period of time.  I eventually tracked it down to the Bridge Card software.
Since I've been beta testing the Janus V2.0 software, this mysterious guru
as completely disappeared.  Before changing the Janus software, I had pretty
much tracked it down to something occuring at or around Binddrivers (I was
doing two Binddrivers passes, binding in my hard disk first, followed later
by the Bridge Card).

> During the last week I read postings of three other people who had similar
> problems with their A2500, so maybe BindDrivers doesn't always know
> what to do when running on a 68020 ??

I figured it was a synchronization problem with the Bridge Card; running the
software 4x faster made a bad situation come up more often.  As it was
already fixed by Janus V2.0, I didn't worry much about it after that.  The
Binddrivers program can cause any number of device drivers to get loaded
("bound") for their corresponding PICs.  So you have more hardware and
software interactions going on here than perhaps any other single time.

> Who of the Amiga Wizards can tell us more on this ??

I haven't seen anything like this happen except for an A2088 Bridge Card
with the original Janus library.  I'd consider that a known problem that's
already been addressed.  Any other interactions warrent some investigation.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy