[comp.sys.amiga] A couple of dumb questions

wilde@tigger.colorado.edu (Nick Wilde) (02/28/89)

2 questions, one software, one hardware :

Software - Is it possible to create your own "Keymap" files ? How ?

Hardware - Is it possible to hook a 2000 to an Apple Mac II color
           monitor ? If so, how ?  Do I have to create a special cable ?

Thanx.

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (02/28/89)

You can create your own keymap files with the "Edimap" program posted
to comp.binaries.amiga a while back.  All the diagnostics are in
French, (!) but it works nicely.  I created a keymap like usa1 but
with the keypad sending vt100-type sequences.  It works rather well.
Edimap should be available from some archive site somewhere, but I
can't think of where, offhand.  Try swan.ulowell.edu and
xanth.cs.odu.edu for starters.

Deven
--
------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu ------- Deven Thomas Corzine ---------------------
Cogito  shadow@acm.rpi.edu          2346 15th Street            Pi-Rho America

In article <6986@boulder.Colorado.EDU> (Nick Wilde) writes:
>Software - Is it possible to create your own "Keymap" files ? How ?

Yes, the format is documented in the Rom Kernel Manual. It isn't
particularly easy for a novice though.

>Hardware - Is it possible to hook a 2000 to an Apple Mac II color
>           monitor ? If so, how ?  Do I have to create a special cable ?

No it isn't. The Mac II color monitor uses a different scan rate. Often
times people confuse the display capabilities of the computer with the
capability of the monitor. Specifically, no matter what monitor you hook
to an Amiga, it will still only be able to display 640 X 400 in interlace
(aka with flicker) and 640 X 200 without. [Note that numbers are about
10% higher than that if you use overscan.] Or to put it another way,
one can't get Mac II resolution by using a Mac II monitor, you have to
change the internal display hardware.

--Chuck McManis