[comp.sys.amiga] Need help with 'object in use'

eve@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Eve) (02/26/89)

The Manx Z editor creates backup files which it can't overwrite and
which I can't delete.  When I try 'delete file', I get the message
'object in use'.  What does this mean, and how do I get rid of this file?
When I do a 'list' on the file, I see only the 'rwed' attributes for the
file set.  (This is from the version 3.6a distribution).

Thanks in advance.

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (02/27/89)

[ We dont feed the dead, why do we feed line eaters? ]

In Message <2521@ssc-vax.UUCP>, eve@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Eve) writes:

>The Manx Z editor creates backup files which it can't overwrite and
>which I can't delete.  When I try 'delete file', I get the message
>'object in use'.  What does this mean, and how do I get rid of this file?
>When I do a 'list' on the file, I see only the 'rwed' attributes for the
>file set.  (This is from the version 3.6a distribution).

  Ive never noticed this little problem. I use Z to edit the same file
  several times in a row with no problems. The .bak file is overwritten
  with a new one each time. The verson of "Z" I use is 2.3, just FYI.

  Make sure your not viewing or doing anything else to that file when trying
  to delete it. I know sometimes I have a second CLI open and im MOREing
  the original code while editing it.

  Sorry im not of alot of help there, but a quick into to locked files may
  be of some help.....

  What happens when you can not delete a file (object in use) is that
  someone has left a "LOCK" on that file. There is a utility that allows
  you to remove locks, but its not to be used by the unskilled or bad
  results can be obtained. The easist way to remove a locked file(s) is
  just wait till you re-boot. They will then be un-locked and may be
  deleted.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (02/27/89)

eve@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Eve) wrote:
> The Manx Z editor creates backup files which it can't overwrite and
> which I can't delete.  When I try 'delete file', I get the message
> 'object in use'.  What does this mean, and how do I get rid of this file?

To me, it means "dangling lock."  Z has Lock()ed the file, and forgotten
to UnLock() it.

I believe there are various magic incantations which can unlock the file,
but the simplest thing to do is reboot.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do."

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (02/27/89)

In article <2521@ssc-vax.UUCP>, eve@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Eve) writes:
> The Manx Z editor creates backup files which it can't overwrite and
> which I can't delete.  When I try 'delete file', I get the message
> 'object in use'.  What does this mean, and how do I get rid of this file?

The 'object in use' message is AmigaDOS' way of telling you that the file has been
left, or for some other reason is currently, in an 'opened' state with write access
used.  In other words, AmigaDOS thinks you are writing into the file from someplace
else (some other task/window).  The problem occurs when files are not properly
closed when a program exits, I am not sure how it happens.

When it happens to me I usually need to re-boot my machine (C-A-A) to get it to
'close' the file.  Then I can delete it.  (If it happens a lot I make a list of
files and re-boot when I have several to delete at once.)

My personal recommendation is to use the mEmacs editor that comes with 1.3 DOS.  It
is very reliable and after picking up the basics, is easier to use.  I have found Z
to be a buggy and incomplete copy of vi which is more restrictive than helpful most
of the time.  The mEmacs implementation has it's faults also but we are comparing
limitations between bicycles and starships.

ARS.

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (03/01/89)

In article <2521@ssc-vax.UUCP> eve@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Eve) writes:
>The Manx Z editor creates backup files which it can't overwrite and
>which I can't delete.  When I try 'delete file', I get the message
>'object in use'.  What does this mean, and how do I get rid of this file?
>When I do a 'list' on the file, I see only the 'rwed' attributes for the
>file set.  (This is from the version 3.6a distribution).

This usually happens to me if I am trying to edit the source
file while the compiler is listing error screens.  If you don't
quit the compiler, then you can't overwrite the 'z' backup file,
since this is the original file which the compiler still has open.

-scott