[comp.sys.amiga] DNET And Our Serial Device

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (02/27/89)

A  couple  of weeks ago, Matt Dillon was kind enough to send us a DNET disk
ready  to go for multiple serial ports (using the ``specify driver and unit
number''  method).   Getting  ready  for  AmiExpo  in New York, we've had a
chance to fire up DNET on our expansion serial ports between two A2000s and
would like to share the results with you:

o	DNET works perfectly  over our serial device and drivers.
	(With no modifications).
o	Performance was quite  reasonable for file transfer. On a
	31250 baud line, files  transfered at approximately 23000
	baud.
o	Performance could clearly be higher if a transfer program
	was used which didn't  have to animate the CLI cursor and
	printf the progress messages.
o	It is  time for Matt to allow arbitrarily high baud rates
 	as right now DNET appears to stop at MIDI (31250).

I think we'll be busy stringing serial cables around the office in the next
few  weeks  as  DNET provides a viable inexpensive file transfer capability
for an office environment.  We're looking forward to Matt's proposed future
enhancements which includes email.

We'd  like  to  see  someone add a ``repeater'' capability so that a simple
star or point-to-point many host network can be achieved.

We'd like to say: ``Way to Go Matt!.''

Perry Kivolowitz

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/01/89)

In article <518@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>We'd  like  to  see  someone add a ``repeater'' capability so that a simple
>star or point-to-point many host network can be achieved.
I don't get this. I like dnet a lot, use it all the time, and so on.
But adding e-mail clients/servers to DNET? try to turn it into a general
protocol stack? Use it to hook up lots of amigas in an office?
   Why on earth when we have all the free tcp/ip implementations
available, with host name resolution/packet forwarding/error handling
and all those other ugly issues resolved? DNET is terrific for going
from an amiga to some host and getting a nice IO mux. I use it exclusively
from my home. DNET does not make sense as a general purpose networking
system, unless you want to add lots of changes. Then the amiga has a
protocol with total incompatibility with the universe. Just what we need,
another point of difference.
   At some point it looked like Ameristar was gonna release SLIP
support, but i guess it never came to pass? Rick? (hmmm, Rick may be
over in Next-land by now ...)
   In any event, if ASDG is going to put time and effort into putting
good networking software out using their serial card, i hope they pick
the standard which buys interoperability (horrible buzz word, good intent)
with all the other networks that are out there.
ron

hbo@nobbs.ucsb.edu (03/01/89)

In article <6527@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes...

+   In any event, if ASDG is going to put time and effort into putting
+good networking software out using their serial card, i hope they pick
+the standard which buys interoperability ...

   Hear, hear! Sticking with standard protocols would help sell your hardware
(and Amigas) in the educational/research environment, Perry.

   BTW - after all my earlier bitching, I'm going to order your new serial card.

--
Howard Owen, Computer Systems Manager           internet: hbo@nobbs.ucsb.edu
Physics Computer Services                       BITNET: HBO@SBITP.BITNET

rick@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Rick Spanbauer) (03/01/89)

In article <6527@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>    At some point it looked like Ameristar was gonna release SLIP
> support, but i guess it never came to pass? Rick? (hmmm, Rick may be
> over in Next-land by now ...)

	Hi Ron,

	No, I am here in Amiga-land :-)  We are starting to see
	some nice standards work on dialup SLIP, eg CSNet's version,
	so we will be dusting off our plans to market a SLIP based
	product.  My early plans to market SLIP were placed on hold
	after it became apparent that there were several versions of
	SLIP out there that were potentially incompatible, and that
	there were no standards at all in dealing with dialup SLIP.

	I'll have this out after Siggraph, along with a
	boatload of server side applications.  We will make our SLIP
	driver configurable enough that it will be compatible with
	third party serial products, such as the ones from ASDG.  I find
	the prospect of inexpensive third party serial products very
	exciting in that it will provide an inexpensive way for people
	to buy into our upcoming NFS based peer to peer network
	technology.

	BTW, I would point out that at least some of the packages
	that are commonly identified as "public domain" in fact
	are not.  For example, the KA9Q package is not commercially
	redistributable.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar Technology

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (03/03/89)

In article <2278@sbcs.sunysb.edu> rick@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Rick Spanbauer) writes:
>	third party serial products, such as the ones from ASDG.  I find
>	the prospect of inexpensive third party serial products very
>	exciting in that it will provide an inexpensive way for people
>	to buy into our upcoming NFS based peer to peer network
>	technology.

Everybody catch this line ?  I think this advance on the current
Ameristar technology is going to be very significant for the
Amiga.  I'll hold the applause until we're running it here,
but, very nice move, Rick!

>					Rick Spanbauer
>					Ameristar Technology

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Question of the Day : When will we get a device independent graphics standard
 that is fast enough to actually be useful ?"