[comp.sys.amiga] MaxTransfer

pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) (02/16/89)

Is there any reason to add a MaxTransfer to a mountlist if the drive works
fine without it? Is there a possibility of a speed INCREASE with it?
thanks...
Pawn@wpi.bitnet
Pawn@wpi.wpi.edu

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (02/17/89)

pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) wrote:
> Is there any reason to add a MaxTransfer to a mountlist if the drive works
> fine without it? Is there a possibility of a speed INCREASE with it?

NO.  Well, maybe with *really* screwed-up driver software, but
all MaxTransfer does is compensate for a common bug in device driver
software, an upper limit on data-transfer request size.

The old FS would only read and write a block at a time, so as long as your
driver could hanle that, everything would work.  The FFS tries to send
large single requests, and some .device drivers broke.  Thus, the kludge
in the FFS.  If your .device driver can handle them, large requests are
invariably faster than multiple small ones, and you should let the FFS
use them.

>> MaxTransfer is a kludge and will go away when <<
>>.device driver writers get their acts together.<<

Oops... that's maybe a bit more forceful than necessary.  But you get the idea.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do."

In <867@wpi.wpi.edu>, pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) writes:
 >Is there any reason to add a MaxTransfer to a mountlist if the drive works
 >fine without it? Is there a possibility of a speed INCREASE with it?
 >thanks...

MaxTransfer is a limiting factor, and should not be used at all if your
driver/controller is capable of handling any length request. IF the
manufacturer specifies a MaxTransfer value, you should use it, or you will have
GURUs and file corruption problems.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (03/01/89)

In <867@wpi.wpi.edu>, pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) writes:
 >Is there any reason to add a MaxTransfer to a mountlist if the drive works
 >fine without it? Is there a possibility of a speed INCREASE with it?
 >thanks...

I've been playing with MaxTransfer and Buffers, increasing and
decreasing the values.  I've noticed very little, if any HD improvement.
I do notice that even setting both values at a minimum, I use 40K
per partition per drive.  Is this normal?  Two drives, each divided
into four partitions uses an incredible amount of RAM just by
mounting them.

In <2940@m2-net.UUCP>, ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) writes:
 >I've been playing with MaxTransfer and Buffers, increasing and
 >decreasing the values.  I've noticed very little, if any HD improvement.

MaxTransfer is a limiting value. The higher it is, the faster the operation.
Given a properly written driver, you do not have to set a MaxTransfer value,
and it will transfer as much as it can, going as fast as it can.

 >I do notice that even setting both values at a minimum, I use 40K
 >per partition per drive.  Is this normal?  Two drives, each divided
 >into four partitions uses an incredible amount of RAM just by
 >mounting them.

Partitions eat memory. If you have some solid reason for wanting to partition,
and can afford the memory, by all means do so, but there I have only heard one
valid reason to partition, and that is to reduce the time to recover should a
partition bite the big one. Other than that, partitions are pretty much useless
holdovers from the days when Intentionally Brain Munged machines couldn't handle
large drives.

-larry