[comp.sys.amiga] Resident in 1.4

dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu (Daniel Zenchelsky) (03/03/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: More 1.4 whishes
In article <Mar.1.17.50.06.1989.9522@topaz.rutgers.edu> armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:
>>have the resident commands survive a warm-reboot.
>
>I don't think that would be a good idea- the reason for warm-booting is
>usually to clear all ram, no?
>
>	-George

All you have to do is add a command "Resident Restore" to recover the list.
that way if you want to clear it, you just don't enter that command.
Like you don't mount rad: if you don't want it.

-Dan

|  ______                                                   |
| ||   |o|  Daniel Zenchelsky  --  dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu  |
| ||___| |                                                  |
| |   _  |  "If it's not in the computer, it doesn't exist" |
| \_[]_|_|                                                  |

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (03/03/89)

In article <3291@hermes.ai.mit.edu> dzenc@hermes.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
)All you have to do is add a command "Resident Restore" to recover the list.
)that way if you want to clear it, you just don't enter that command.
)Like you don't mount rad: if you don't want it.

Not mounting rad: does not make it go away on a warm boot, at least with
1.3 Kickstart.  You can warm boot any number of times and still remount
an intact rad:.  I notice this because I don't use rad: in all configurations,
and in some of the non-rad: ones I've had occasion to notice that a
considerable amount of memory was tied up somewhere.

Instead of "Resident Restore" after booting, I think you want something like
RemRad (RemRes, perhaps?).  I suspect that you memory will still be tied up
whether you do the restore or not.
--
-  It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be  -
-  coming up it.                                        -- Henry Allen  -