[comp.sys.amiga] New demo available from xanth: ``WaveSailing with AmiVision''

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (03/03/89)

I've had this for a few days, but haven't had the chance to announce it yet...

Marvin Landis <mlandis@nmsu.edu> was kind enough to mail me (via the
old fashioned kind of mail) ``WaveSailing with AmiVision'', which he
intended to be an application in the '88 Badge Killer Demo Contest.
For whatever reasons, this demo didn't get into the contest...
However, it is now available via anonymous ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu in
/amiga/wavesailing/.  It is LARGE:

total 1189
-rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public       4191 Mar  2 11:24 README
-rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public     451661 Feb 23 22:51 wave1.zoo
-rw-r--r--  1 tadguy   public     732266 Feb 23 23:46 wave2.zoo

So, before you attempt to get it, read through the README included
below, and be certain you can extract a 732k zoo file (you might want
to break the zoo files down on your local UNIX host using the UNIX
version of Zoo also available on xanth in /pub/zoo-2.01/).

However, if you can run it, it is well worth the trouble of getting it!
(It's shame it didn't get into the contest).

As a side line...

It's almost Spring Break time here at Old Dominion University, and
like most University people, I am going to Florida (Daytona Beach, to
be exact).  If you send me mail, I'll get to it when I return the next
week.  If you want to show me and my entourage a good time in Daytona,
send mail quickly, or call (804) 683-4529 (work)...

Enjoy!  (I know I will...)

	...tad

This is xanth.cs.odu.edu:/amiga/wavesailing/README:

This directory contains ``WaveSailing with AmiVision'' by Marvin
Landis <mlandis@nmsu.edu>.  This is what you need to do to get this
demo running:

1.  Have at least 1.2M of memory.
2.  Have at least two disk drives (or one hard disk).
3.  Download BOTH wave1.zoo and wave2.zoo (use BINARY MODE).
4.  Extract all of wave1.zoo to a disk labelled ``WaveSailing''
5.  Extract all of wave2.zoo to a disk labelled ``Jump''
6.  Click on the apropos icons.

The second disk MUST be called ``Jump''.  If you're using a hard disk,
there's a different icon that will try to run everything from the current
directory.

This the ReadMe file from wave1.zoo:

***  WaveSailing With AmiVision  ***
*** Copyright 1988 Marvin Landis ***
***                              ***
***       Starring Amiguy        ***

This is an interactive demo that was created using MANY different graphics
and animation packages available for the Amiga.  This animation will run
on a variety of Amiga configurations, but will run the best on a machine
with at least 1.2 Mb of memory.

A minimum of 725Kb of free memory is required to see the simplest version
of this animation.  However if you have less than 1.2Mb of free memory you
will not be able to see all the capabilities of the animation.  The simplest
version will only allow 1 jump to be viewed at a time.  The buttons labelled
'Jump', 'TableTop', and 'Loop' will work with this minimum configuration,
however the animation will pause for a while as the new jump will be loaded
from disk.  If you click on the 'Random Zip' button, there will be no effect
as there is not enough memory available to load more than one jump anim at
a time.

With more than 1.2Mb of memory you will be able to take full advantage of
this animation.  The Director script (which is included), first tests for
available memory and then runs the appropriate animation.  With enough
memory you will be able to click on any of the buttons on the control
panel of the AmiVision set and without any delays see the selected
jump or a continuous loop of random jumps.

I have included 2 versions of the Director film file necessary to view this
animation.  One is intended for floppy disk use, and will load the jump
anims from the disk labelled Jumps.  However, I hate having to do an assign
statement before running an animation from a hard disk, so I also included
a film file that will load all the anims from the current directory.  So, to
run this from a hard disk, just copy the files to a directory on the hard
disk, and the WaveSailing.hd film will run everything from the current
directory.  These files are the necessary files to view this animation from
a hard disk:

Projector            -  The Director player program
WaveSailing.hd       -  The Director film file
WaveSailing.hd.info  -  The icon for WaveSailing.hd
Sailing.anim         -  27 frames of Amiguy approaching the wave
Jump1.anim           -  14 frames for the normal jump
Jump2.anim           -  14 frames for the tabletop jump
Jump3.anim           -  13 frames for the loop jump

Now just a short note about the programs used to create this demo.  The
waves were created with EGG (Videoscape-3D) and then Interchange was used
to convert them to Sculpt-Animate format.  Amiguy and the sailboard were
created with Sculpt-3D and animated with Sculpt-Animate.  The AmiVision
screen was created with Turbo Silver.  Several paint packages were then
used to finalize the animation. PixMate was used to create a palette that
could be shared by the animation and the AmiVision screen (remember they
were done with different 3D packages).  Diamond was used to blur the
waves a little and eliminate much of the triangular look of the waves.
Then DigiPaint was used to combine the animation area with the AmiVision
screen for every frame of the animation (I LOVE the 'Again' feature found
in DigiPaint).  MakeAnim was used to create the 4 anim files, and of
course Director was used to tie all the anims into the final demo.

Please feel free to redistribute this animation to any interested Amiga
owner, but please make sure all of the files including this one and the
script file (WaveSailing.script) are distributed with it.

--
Tad Guy              Comp Sci, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA  23529-0162
tadguy@cs.odu.edu    tadguy@xanth.cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]     tadguy@xanth.uucp

"Think twice before speaking, but don't say `think think click click'."
                                                            -- John Owens

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (03/03/89)

In article <7962@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>Marvin Landis <mlandis@nmsu.edu> was kind enough to mail me (via the
>old fashioned kind of mail) ``WaveSailing with AmiVision'', .....
>... It is LARGE:
>
>So, before you attempt to get it, read through the README included
>below, and be certain you can extract a 732k zoo file (you might want
>to break the zoo files down on your local UNIX host using the UNIX
>version of Zoo also available on xanth in /pub/zoo-2.01/).

Or even easier, send me $10 and ask for Pict9a and 9b.

Joe Larson
6121 St. Croix Ave. N.
Golden Valley, Mn.  55422

(Better yet, send me $50 and I'll send you all 10 pict disks currently
available!  Go on.  Take a chance.)

-Joe
--
          When you fall on your head do you land on your feet?
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe   (Feed my      Dayton Hudson Department Store Company