[comp.sys.amiga] Postscript preview program ?

4225_5257@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/26/89)

  I remember hearing some talk a while back about a P.D. Postscript previewer
program.
  Now I find myself in need of just such a program.  If somebody has access to
it, could they please post it (the executable) in comp.amiga.binaries?

Many thanks,
Steve van der Burg

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (02/28/89)

In article <1741@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4225_5257@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
->
->  I remember hearing some talk a while back about a P.D. Postscript previewer
->program.
->  Now I find myself in need of just such a program.  If somebody has access to
->it, could they please post it (the executable) in comp.amiga.binaries?

To my knowledge there has only been one such program ever posted and it was
called ps.  I don't mean to criticize the author, but the program wasn't
much of a PostScript previewer.  Every Postscript file that I tried on it
wouldn't work.  The only PostScript programs that it seemed to accept were
simple five line ones.  Come on, somebody must have or must be working on a
decent PostScript previewer.  Has anybody looked into porting the GNU
GhostScript?

->Many thanks,
->Steve van der Burg

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

rosenbergr@abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg, Computer Science, ]bo Akademi) (03/02/89)

In article <58@snll-arpagw.UUCP>, paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
> Come on, somebody must have or must be working on a
> decent PostScript previewer.  Has anybody looked into porting the GNU
> GhostScript?

I would like to see Ghostscript on my Amiga too. I have some whishes concering
how to access it. It should be a CON-like device. Then I could choose to send
the ps-code to SER: or PS:. Or set the file name in CMD to PS:
Should be a nice project for someone.
----
Robin Rosenberg,  ]bo Akademi, FINLAND
Address: Finn|, 22340 Geta, ]LAND - FINLAND
     or  Studentbyn 40A3, 20510 ]BO, FINLAND
Translation: ']' is an 'A' with a ring on top, '|' is an 'o' with two dots.

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (03/04/89)

In article <5856@abo.fi> rosenbergr@abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg, Computer Science, ]bo Akademi) writes:
-In article <58@snll-arpagw.UUCP>, paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
-> Come on, somebody must have or must be working on a
-> decent PostScript previewer.  Has anybody looked into porting the GNU
-> GhostScript?

-I would like to see Ghostscript on my Amiga too. I have some whishes concering
-how to access it. It should be a CON-like device. Then I could choose to send
-the ps-code to SER: or PS:. Or set the file name in CMD to PS:
-Should be a nice project for someone.

Porting the GNU GhostScript would be great.  Extend it into NeWS,
maybe even.  But it should be an Exec postscript.device (or
ghostscript.device) with an accompanying PS: AmigaDOS device.  Similar
to the console.device and CON: or serial.device and SER: distinctions.

Deven

--
------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu ------- Deven Thomas Corzine ---------------------
Cogito  shadow@acm.rpi.edu          2346 15th Street            Pi-Rho America

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (03/04/89)

> -> Has anybody looked into porting the GNU GhostScript?
> Porting the GNU GhostScript would be great.

I've got the GhostScript 1.2 source and have been working on the
port.  Some issues come to mind, though:

- Any ideas on how to specify (to the device)
  - Horizontal and Vertical resolution?
  - Horizontal and Vertical size?

Should I use the virtual page library by CLtd for the image (which
will allow color and fragmented bitmaps)?  Interactive drawing to a
window might be nice, too.  Should I provide the graphics primitives
(including path generation and the like) as a library callable by
other routines?

This program will require memory, but I'm trying to keep it as small
as possible.  GhostScript itself does some very nasty stuff
internally (grabbing the return address from a jump_buf structure,
doing very strange things with the stack frame inside of a
procedure, etc.) but I'll give it my best shot.  Please, any
suggestions at all are appreciated.

-Tom Rokicki
BIX: radical.eye  BBS: (415) 32-RADIO  Voice: (415) 32-AMIGA
Internet: rokicki@polya.stanford.edu  Deep Voice: (415) 326-5312
Snail: Radical Eye Software, Box 2081, Stanford, CA  94309  USA

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (03/04/89)

In article <7395@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:

->I've got the GhostScript 1.2 source and have been working on the
->port.  Some issues come to mind, though:

Great Tom.  Now I know we'll see a good implementation of GhostScript
on the Amiga.