[comp.sys.amiga] Hard disks for 2000

witting@topaz.rutgers.edu (Paul K Willing) (02/21/89)

Well, Im about to get an amiga 2000, but Id like a few quick answers
first.  I want a hard drive, and I figure I might as well go with the
40 meg variety.  I can get a 2000HD (which comes with the Commadore
2084(?) controller and a 40 meg drive, or get a 2000 and a third party
hard drive.  My questions:

	The Commadore drive does NOT use a SCSI interface, but does
have a fast drive.  I was told that the SCSI iterface was the best
available, what is the difference (speed, cost, ?) ?
	Alternative #1, a GVP card and a 40 meg drive with a 19 ms
access time (not sure about units but 19 is right)?
	Alternative #2, a microbotics HardCard and an yet to be
determined hard disk.

The Commadore advantages are boot from HD, pre-installed (no warranty
worries) and $100 less than #1.

Alternative #1, the SCSI interface and faster drive.  I dont think the
drive speed will matter much, my main concern is the interface.  This
is the drive setup being sold by the dealer, but implies that a boot
from HD will cost still more.

Alternative #2, the microbiotics.  Saw their add in AMIGA RESOURCE, it
sounds impressive, but the store I was planning on purchasing from has
never heard of it.  Havent the faintest how it compares in price
however. (The stores prices seem very competitive)

Also, What's this about newer monitors?  Old ones are junk?  How do I
know if Im getting the good one?

Thanks for any and all help/enlightenment you can offer me...

						paul

In article <Feb.21.01.10.26.1989.5890@topaz.rutgers.edu> witting@topaz.rutgers.edu (Paul K Willing) writes:

>Well, Im about to get an amiga 2000, but Id like a few quick answers
>first.  I want a hard drive, and I figure I might as well go with the
>40 meg variety.  I can get a 2000HD (which comes with the Commadore
>2084(?) controller and a 40 meg drive, or get a 2000 and a third party
 2090A
>hard drive.  My questions:
>
>	The Commadore drive does NOT use a SCSI interface, but does
            Commodore
>have a fast drive.  I was told that the SCSI iterface was the best
>available, what is the difference (speed, cost, ?) ?

	The 2000HD is currently being shipped with ST506 drives.  The 2090A
can use either (or both) ST506 and SCSI drives.  You can by a 2090A and a
SCSI drive instead of a 2000HD, though it will require a bit more setup.

>	Alternative #1, a GVP card and a 40 meg drive with a 19 ms
>access time (not sure about units but 19 is right)?
>	Alternative #2, a microbotics HardCard and an yet to be
>determined hard disk.
>
>The Commadore advantages are boot from HD, pre-installed (no warranty
>worries) and $100 less than #1.

	I believe that GVP will autoboot, and I'm certain the HardCard will.

>Alternative #2, the microbiotics.  Saw their add in AMIGA RESOURCE, it
		     microbotics

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (03/04/89)

I had to rebuild Diskperf to measure HF speeds with the new puppy I'm running
on it. I have picked up a Micropolis 1578 327 meg drive to run on the HF. So
far it is the fastest combo I have seen. (It makes the Quantum 80meg drive
look slow!)

With a 524meg transfer with 3meg files I am getting read speeds up to 983k/
second. Writes are something like 500k+ per second. Alas it does not handle
synchronous drives yet. (RSN I understand.)

It fully autoboots to FFS. (In fact that is pointing up a bug in FFS for files
er partitions > 308megs. They ALWAYS revalidate on reboot. <sigh> This puppy
takes a LONG time to revalidate! Ah well - i can live with it.)

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.