[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Hard Drives

witting@topaz.rutgers.edu (Paul K Willing) (02/28/89)

I recently posted a request about Hard Drive options available for the
2000, specifically, I was interested in a 2000HD vs a 2000 with a
third party controller/drive setup.  If anybody is interested in a
summary, write me and I will send you a copy.

I am very much interested in combining a Microbotics HardCard and a
Quantum 11ms 40 HD, but one reply had mentioned a possible bug in the
first release.  I was curious if anyone had this board, was certain of
any bugs or knew of a revision being planned.

Last, but far from least, I am a student here a good old Rutgers
College.  I heard that WordPerfect had a student discount plan, and
the on campus computer store here sells IBM PS/2's and MAC's at cost.
Unfortunately, they are not currently offering Amigas.  I was curious
whether a Student Discount Plan might be available, or if any attempts
were being made to introduce Amigas to College computer centers?
Also, does Commadore offer any any financing options?  It seems the
college market would be important to Commadore, as the system a person
begins with is often the system he stays with.  I esp  want to hear
from our man in Commadore about this one.
--
"Run, Run, as fast as you can, you cant catch me, Im the gingerbread man"
"Lets do some crimes. Yeah, lets get sushi and not pay"

amiga@athena.mit.edu (MITAUG Staff) (02/28/89)

In article <Feb.27.20.52.35.1989.7519@topaz.rutgers.edu> witting@topaz.rutgers.edu (Paul K Willing) writes:

>Last, but far from least, I am a student here a good old Rutgers
>College.  I heard that WordPerfect had a student discount plan, and
>the on campus computer store here sells IBM PS/2's and MAC's at cost.
>Unfortunately, they are not currently offering Amigas.  I was curious
>whether a Student Discount Plan might be available, or if any attempts
>were being made to introduce Amigas to College computer centers?
>Also, does Commadore offer any any financing options?  It seems the
>college market would be important to Commadore, as the system a person
>begins with is often the system he stays with.  I esp  want to hear
>from our man in Commadore about this one.
>--
>                                                           6  6
>Witting@topaz.rutgers.edu                                  `--'

We had alot of problems trying to get C= to offer a student plan here
at MIT.  They insisted that the microcomputer center act as a full
dealer and handle reapirs etc.... also strong objections were heard
from a local dealer about unfair competition (This local dealer does
s**t to move the amiga and related software hence no one buys there).
Currently, I think, there is a deal that C= offers if the amiga is
bought with a requisition from the school (ie students can't do this).

If you can convince whomever is in charge of school sales to act as a
distributor on the campus you might be in luck ...

Ric Carreras

ARPA:  carreras@lees.mit.edu
bix:  carreras

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (03/04/89)

In article <Feb.27.20.52.35.1989.7519@topaz.rutgers.edu> witting@topaz.rutgers.edu (Paul K Willing) writes:

>I recently posted a request about Hard Drive options available for the
>2000, specifically, I was interested in a 2000HD vs a 2000 with a
>third party controller/drive setup.  If anybody is interested in a
>summary, write me and I will send you a copy.
>
>I am very much interested in combining a Microbotics HardCard and a
>Quantum 11ms 40 HD, but one reply had mentioned a possible bug in the
>first release.  I was curious if anyone had this board, was certain of
>any bugs or knew of a revision being planned.

This was caused by some lack of clarity in the HW docs for the A2000 and
A2620. It has been fixed. (A hardware fix - pull the pAL in u9. Find a 20
pin socket. Bend out pin 15. Connect a small wire between 15 and 11. Install
socket into the PAL socket - make sure NOTHING shorts. be VERY VERY careful.
Now plug the PAL back in. It seems to cure the problem. The QUantun should
provide you with something on the order of 600k to 800k.sec read speeds.)

Microbotics will supply a suitably modified socket so that your friendly
neighborhood Amiga tech can install it. All new boards now shipping have the
mod incorporated.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.