[comp.sys.amiga] Potential buyer's questions

ray@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) (03/01/89)

		      (This is a posting for my roommate)

I am seriously considering some configuration of an Amiga 2000 for my next
computer, most likely a 2500.  I am a technical writer/publisher by trade,
and have used a Macintosh II extensively at work.

I have some questions concerning the Amiga that I hope some of you out there
will be able to provide answers/opinions on:

1) How well does the Amiga interface with popular laser printers?  I am quite
   pleased with the way a laser printer works with a Macintosh... is it as
   smooth on the Amiga?

2) Are you happy overall with the quality of the desktop publishing programs
   available for the Amiga?  My general feeling _at this point_ is that the
   software for the Amiga is not as varied or as mature as on the Macintosh
   (what with the likes of Pagemaker on the low end to Quark Xpress and
   Interleaf on the high end).  Is this an accurate assessment?  Are there any
   features specifically that you feel are missing in the current generation
   of Amiga DTP titles?

3) Will the 68020 option make a considerable difference in operation speed
   for most Amiga productivity programs?  Does anyone see compatibility
   problems?  I have noticed, for example, that text manipulation with
   Professional Page is very slow-- would the 68020 CPU make a noticeable
   difference?

Thanks for any information you can provide.  I would like to buy an Amiga
because I feel it is superior machine overall to the Macintosh, especially
with its multi- tasking.  However, the quality of the desktop publishing
environment for the machine will probably be the deciding factor.

Kent Sullivan

In article <2014@pur-phy> (Ray Moody) writes:
>		      (This is a posting for my roommate)

Ray, pass this on to Ken, :-)

>I have some questions concerning the Amiga that I hope some of you out there
>will be able to provide answers/opinions on:

Reaonable concerns I'd say.

>1) How well does the Amiga interface with popular laser printers?  I am quite
>   pleased with the way a laser printer works with a Macintosh... is it as
>   smooth on the Amiga?

Smooth is a subjective adjective. I print TeX .dvi files on the LaserWriter
that are as good as Interleaf can produce. And all I type is
	1>dvips document.dvi
Can I whip up to a menu option and say "Print" no, not really although I
bet if Tom Rokicki is reading this and realized how easy it would be to
put a Print-It icon on the previewer that would start the program in
the environment variable texprinter with a pointer to the file you were
currently viewing, I suspect he would be able to implement it in a weekend
or so.

>2) Are you happy overall with the quality of the desktop publishing programs
>   available for the Amiga?  My general feeling _at this point_ is that the
>   software for the Amiga is not as varied or as mature as on the Macintosh
>   (what with the likes of Pagemaker on the low end to Quark Xpress and
>   Interleaf on the high end).  Is this an accurate assessment?  Are there any
>   features specifically that you feel are missing in the current generation
>   of Amiga DTP titles?

At this point things are about as advanced as they were for the Macintosh
when it was three years old. Of course we didn't have MacDraw and MacWrite
to begin with (but we did have Deluxe Paint). Since the Mac at this point
"discovered" that it's market niche was Desktop Publishing it attacked it
tenaciously. The Amiga has discovered that Desktop Presentations are it's
forte' and is attacking them instead.  That doesn't mean it isn't getting
better, it just means that funded developer resources are leaning toward
the former latter than the former.

>3) Will the 68020 option make a considerable difference in operation speed
>   for most Amiga productivity programs?  Does anyone see compatibility
>   problems?  I have noticed, for example, that text manipulation with
>   Professional Page is very slow-- would the 68020 CPU make a noticeable
>   difference?

Generally this is where it makes the most impressive improvements. Much
time in publishing programs is spent calculating the "rendered" image.

>Thanks for any information you can provide.  I would like to buy an Amiga
>because I feel it is superior machine overall to the Macintosh, especially
>with its multi- tasking.  However, the quality of the desktop publishing
>environment for the machine will probably be the deciding factor.

My personal feeling is that the Desktop publishing "environment" will
continue to be better on the Macintosh. However, it is certainly
beyond the "usable" stage on the Amiga. As a programmer I prefer the
non WYSIWYG nature of TeX since I can get more information on the screen
at once and viewing the "final" form is merely a function key away.
The reason you might want to go with the Amiga is that is will save you
money and will go farther than a Mac SE or II will.
--Chuck McManis

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (03/05/89)

In article <2014@pur-phy> ray@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) writes:
>with its multi- tasking.  However, the quality of the desktop publishing
>environment for the machine will probably be the deciding factor.

FrameMaker from Frame Technolgies looks great on the Amiga. We had
their displays up on both the moniterm (1008x800) and an appleII style
monitor hooked up to an A500. The characters and graphics looks very
professional as well as when their people tried it out on the amiga's
the complemented the responsiveness.

Oh yes, this was running under X11. Frame was actually running on an
Sun3 or an HP machine. (They had versions for both). If you had a
department that could use a dtp package. Getting a unix machine to
actually run their code and a bunch of Amiga's would be a perfectly
workable solution.
   If you are alone though, we'll have to wait till they decide to port
their code to the Amiga. Should not be that hard once the Xlib is
available for the Amiga for one of the C compilers.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale