[comp.sys.amiga] Logicworks....

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) (03/01/89)

Any comments, suggestions or flames on LOGICWORKS???

ksp@anuck.UUCP (p.s.kasten) (03/01/89)

In article <9834@louie.udel.EDU>, BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) writes:
> Any comments, suggestions or flames on LOGICWORKS???

Since someone asked, I'll give you my feelings about it.

Don't buy it.

When version 1.0 came out, I was told that it was not really a complete
product, but could be had for $100.  A future upgrade to 2.0 would cost
$100.  A new purchase of 2.0 would be $200, so it made sense to at least
get a jump on using the product since it would cost the same either way.

I was disappointed in 1.0, but I was warned by Capilano that I might be.
It wasted RAM (didn't return it) every time it was run.  The logic devices
library was neither complete nor extensible.  It didn't have a file requester
(it forced you to remember the name and enter it into a string gadget -- I
HATE those!).  The circuit to be simulated is always live:  This feature means
that you can view the outputs of the ciruit at all times.  Nice idea, but
there should be a way to turn it off (otherwise, it just slows down the
rest of your system).  Although you could pause the timing display, if memory
serves, LogicWorks was still calculating the status of the system.
Three windows were opened, in 1.0, when you ran LW -- circuit, timing and
Debug.  Oh yes, actually I think there was a fourth window -- the stupid
tiny window that some startup routines open for console I/O.  These four
windows all opened on the Workbench screen.

I could've lived with most of these limitations if the device library
was more complete.  It contained some basic gates (NANDs, ANDs, ORs,
etc.), a counter (not LS16x or LS19x compatible), a mux (not
really compatible with any standard LS component), a FF (ditto),
and a few other things.  You couldn't redefine, or create devices.
So I ended up just putting it away.

I anxiously awaited 2.0.  I called Capilano several times.  A first they
told me it was a few months away.  Then I was told that they had no plans
on doing an upgrade since the AMIGA market wasn't strong enough.  Next,
I got a flyer telling me it was available!

I ordered it.  It's almost just as bad as 1.0.  They use arp.library
to provide a file requester.  They allow you to build your own devices,
but you do this by building upon devices already there.  They also have
included some new devices -- including several microprocessors.  When I
read that, I was very interested.  However, their microprocessors
aren't simulated -- they are just there for including in your drawing.
What I hoped for was a way to simulate RAM, a micro, etc.

All of the other limitations (except for the lack of a debug window) still
exist.  So I ended up putting it away.

I am gearing up writing my own.  I've been sidetracked several times --
currently I am working on YACP (Yet another CAD package) as well
as some stuff for the Haitex 3D system.  When those are done, I will
work on my digital logic simulator.

Sorry this was so long.  I don't remember all the things that bothered me
about the product since I filed it several months ago.  I do know that
I was extremely disappointed.  Twice.

phil kasten
at&t bell labs
!att!mvuxi!ksp

ALL OPINIONS EXPRESSED ABOVE ARE MY OWN, AND IN NO WAY REFLECT THOSE OF
AT&T's.

primrod@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Don Primrose) (03/02/89)

I have the latest version of Logic Works and haven't had any problems with
it as of yet. the earlier versions were a bit buggy but they seem to have
ironed those out.

It is extremely nice to be able to design a circuit and simulate it at the
same time. Not even the Mentor Graphics tools will do this. I have found
that I can design and troubleshoot a circuit very quickly using Logic
Works, print it out on my printer then input in on the Mentor Graphics
workstations we have at school for a more detailed analysis.

Some things that I'd like to see on Logic Works:

		o Circuit zoom feature.
		o Part rotation.
		o More detailed timing diagrams.
		o Larger libraries including PLA's, ROM's etc.

If your a student, Logic Works is invaluable. If anyone has any specific
questions, feel free to ask.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=  Don Primrose : Oregon State University				       =
=  primrod@jacobs.cs.orst.edu						       =
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

jwilson@s.cs.uiuc.edu (03/03/89)

LogicWorks is a nice program (especially 2.0).  It is far inferior to
profesional workstation design programs I have used (such as dcs for the
HP 9000s), but it does the job.  The thing that I like most about it is that
it simulates your circuit in real-time on the screen for you while you are
editing it.  Much better than the pages of 1s and 0s I've gotten from
academic simulators I have used.

Complaints:
	You can't zoom in or out of the circuit (just horizontal scroll).
	Wire drawing takes getting used to (can't just specify endpoints).
	Macro definition requires you to design a graphic symbol for your
		circuit with a seperate drawing program ( none supplied)!
	It runs a little slow.

Plaudits:
	The simulator is real nice!
	It's the only design system I can use at home.
	It's not very expensive($200)

Overall, I'd say it's a good program for designing small circuits (like for
EE classes), and playing around.  Also useful when you get an idea late at
night that just can't wait to be tried out.

Jeff Wilson
jwilson@s.cs.uiuc.edu

Rene.Alfonso@f1.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rene Alfonso) (03/06/89)

Yes I have a question. I see tw0 versions of logic works. One sells for
200 dollars another sells for around 60-70 dollars. What is the
difference between the software  ? IS the higher price one worth it ?

--
          __     Fidonet : 369/2 [(305) 421-8593] Brave New World South
         /  \    Internet: muadib.FIDONET.ORG

primrod@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Don Primrose) (03/07/89)

In article <183.241298E0@muadib.FIDONET.ORG> Rene.Alfonso@f1.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rene Alfonso) writes:
>Yes I have a question. I see tw0 versions of logic works. One sells for
>200 dollars another sells for around 60-70 dollars. What is the
>difference between the software  ? IS the higher price one worth it ?

The 60-70 dollar version is the old version and is full of bugs and non-
implemented features.