[comp.sys.amiga] hunt for sz/rz

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) (03/04/89)

Where can the zmodem transfer program sz/rz be found?

It is suppose to be able to be run while using
access!  from another cli.  We have the unix
flavor on one side, it would be nice to have
the amiga port if available.  thxs

duncan@csd4.milw.edi

mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) (03/07/89)

Aside: Zmodem is the most efficient file transfer protocol I've found
for my amiga.  It beats xmodem and kermit hands down. (ymodem is
supposed to be pretty good too, but I've never used it).  Zmodem uses
adaptive packet sizes and some versions support resuming an
interrupted transfer.  If you know about zmodem and shared serial io,
please read on.

In article <1426@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:

   Where can the zmodem transfer program sz/rz be found?

I got mine from either e.ms.uky.edu (128.163.128.5) or g.ms.uky.edu
(128.163.128.7) via anonymous ftp.  I don't recall which.  However,
there is a bug in rz's -T option (which gives you a terminal window
allowing stand alone operation).  If you run "rz -T" in the
background, the machine will guru when you exit the rz.  I've gotten
around this by forcing my DTR line high and using VT100 version 2.8 in
conjunction with rz.  You have to quit vt100 to use rz since v2.8
doesn't open the serial.device in "shared" mode.  The high DTR line
keeps the modem from hanging up when you quit VT100.

I've heard v2.9 of VT100 uses "shared" mode, but I haven't seen it
anywhere.  Has anyone seen it???  What about VLT? (another vt100 thing)
Does it use shared mode?  Where can I get it? It would be nice to have
a hook in these nifty terminal emulators to run zmodem.  (or any user
specified protocol for that matter)
--

					- Scott Wills
					mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (03/07/89)

In article <MWILLS.89Mar6175035@x102a.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) writes:
>Aside: Zmodem is the most efficient file transfer protocol I've found
>for my amiga.  It beats xmodem and kermit hands down.

I agree!  I use zmodem exclusively with the (unreleased) VT100 R2.9.  "How
did *he* get a copy," you ask? -- I'm the author of 2.9 (and 2.8A and 2.8
and ... well, you get the picture).

>In article <1426@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
>
>   Where can the zmodem transfer program sz/rz be found?

I will enclose a version of sz and rz written by Frank Anthes when I ship
2.9 to Bob Page (mod of comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga).  How soon?  Well,
it'll be a while.  As I've said many times before, my job has taken an
inordinate amount of time of late (like the past 6 months) and work on
VT100 has suffered for it.  I can't really give a target release date for
it yet.  Sorry.  I *will* keep the net posted, though.

>I've heard v2.9 of VT100 uses "shared" mode, but I haven't seen it
>anywhere.  Has anyone seen it???

2.9 will allow the user to request that the serial port be opened in
shared mode.  It will also have hooks to allow the user to specify other
programs that are to be used to transfer files (such as sz and rz).

--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]