[comp.sys.amiga] Hard drives for A1000

dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) (03/05/89)

Forgive me for not paying attention, but I would like to find out what
people think are the best deals for hard drives for the A1000.  I would
like to know about your best recommendations with respect to capacity,
price, and reliability.  In your opinion, which drive offers the best
price/capacity ratio?  What would be the optimum storage capacity to get?
Please send e-mail to the address in the reply-to field or my signature
so as to avoid a flame war on the net.  (Also because I easily get behind
in news-reading).

Thanks.

-- Dan Howell  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com>
--             <...!(pyramid|ucbvax)!ucsbcsl!nessus!ivucsb!dan>
-- * I think this is it!  My address should be relatively permanent now. *

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (03/07/89)

In article <561@ivucsb.UUCP>, dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) writes:
> Forgive me for not paying attention, but I would like to find out what
> people think are the best deals for hard drives for the A1000.  I would
> like to know about your best recommendations with respect to capacity,
> price, and reliability.  In your opinion, which drive offers the best
> price/capacity ratio?

My best recommendations are both C-Ltd. drives.  The best price/capacity is
the Konika 5.25in 10MB removable FLOPPY (ultra high density) drive.  It is
useful as a backup device and as a 10MB disk drive (I don't know if they
can support autoboot).  The floppys are $10-12 each (depending on where you
purchase them) and the drive is in the $600-700 range.  This gives you a
(worst case) price of $820 for 100MB of storage (or $1060 for 300MB, $1900
for 1,000MB!!!).  Also, I recommend the 33MB drive (I forget what I paid for
it).  It is a fast, reliable unit, one of which I have been using for over
 2 years.

> What would be the optimum storage capacity to get?

What will you be using the drive for?
	Graphics/animation	-	50MB or more is a good starting amt.
	Business (small)	-	30MB or more is a good starting amt.
	Business (large)	-	50MB or more is a good starting amt.
	Hobby/Home Stuff	-	20MB or more is a good starting amt.
(### Please no flames - these are my opinions & not carved-in-stone rules###)

- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corporation for Open Systems, McLean, VA -
- andrews@cos.com or {uunet, sundc, decuac, hqda-ai, hadron}!cos!andrews
- Everything I write blame on me, NOT my employer (unless I say so).
"Adventure is when you toss your life on the scales of chance and wait
	 for the pointer to stop." - Murray Leinster (First Contact)