[comp.sys.amiga] C. Itoh ProWriter driver

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (03/03/89)

Hello,
       I have a C. Itoh ProWriter printer (aka Apple DMP, NEC 8023A?, etc.)
Now that I've upgraded to 1.3 Dos, I need a new printer driver.  Does anyone
out there have one?  (I saw one posted to the net recently, but when I unshared
it, it did not work.  Did it work for anyone else?)  If you have one, please
Email me a copy.

                                Thank you,

--

                                         Jim Pritchett

                                         UUCP:  killer!gtmvax!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (03/06/89)

In article <0301.AA0301@caleb>, jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) says:

>Hello,
>       I have a C. Itoh ProWriter printer (aka Apple DMP, NEC 8023A?, etc.)
>Now that I've upgraded to 1.3 Dos, I need a new printer driver.  Does anyone
>out there have one?  (I saw one posted to the net recently, but when I unshared

Earth to Commodore...

About once per month, someone requests a C. Itoh/ Nec 8023a printer driver.
I know it isn't as popular as the printers that you do support, but could
you pretty please consider adding it to the list.  I bet it is the most
common *unsupported* printer out there.

I would be delighted to send you a copy of the technical docs.  It is
a pretty straightforward printer, and I doubt that you would run into
any humongous diffuculties.

Please think about it .

                           lee

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (03/08/89)

In article <74412UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:

>Earth to Commodore...

Yes, Cadet ?

>About once per month, someone requests a C. Itoh/ Nec 8023a printer driver.
>I know it isn't as popular as the printers that you do support, but could
>you pretty please consider adding it to the list.  I bet it is the most
>common *unsupported* printer out there.
>
>I would be delighted to send you a copy of the technical docs.  It is
>a pretty straightforward printer, and I doubt that you would run into
>any humongous diffuculties.

Supporting a new printer driver is more than just coding it;
it means supporting it, from release to release.
It's also not very likely to work  out well unless we had the printer in house.
Technical docs rarely tell the full story.

But, wait, here's an idea...

We've published a fair amount of info on how to write a printer
driver, even given out source code to some of our drivers.
There must have been a reason for it...
Why not take a crack at writing the driver yourself ?  You have the printer,
and the motivation.

>Please think about it .

You too.

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Question of the Day : When will we get a device independent graphics standard
 that is fast enough to actually be useful ?"