[comp.sys.amiga] This here fast LS thang

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/07/89)

In article <855@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:

>I hope he posted the most current version, 2.2.  Yes, it is a great
>program.  I make it resident and alias 'dir' to 'ls'.  That's the way
>the Amiga should work.

Wow. I've never had a screwup met with so much enthusiasm (it was
supposed to be Distribution: local). But anyway, no he didnt post
the most recent version 2.2, it's 2.0.

Somebody wanna send it (2.2) to Bob Page, or, at least mail it
to *me* :-)

--
              Memory parity error. Abort, retry or ignore ?
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (03/09/89)

Yeah, this LS thang is fast.  But it's so darn weird I don't know if I can
deal with it.  It beats the Manx LS (which I'm quite happy with overall)
for speed, but it lists the directories from left to right.  I mean, it looks
like it prints the whole left column, then the next column, and so on, so the
whole thing just sort of sweeps on to the screen.  I'm just not used to seeing
stuff like this on a text screen.

Anyone else find it disconcerting?

 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "One man's garbage is another     \
\ AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com | man's prune danish." - Harv Laser /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

brant@uf.msc.umn.edu (Gary Brant) (03/09/89)

In article <732@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:

>Yeah, this LS thang is fast.  But it's so darn weird I don't know if I can
>deal with it.  It beats the Manx LS (which I'm quite happy with overall)
>for speed, but it lists the directories from left to right.  I mean, it looks
>like it prints the whole left column, then the next column, and so on, so the
>whole thing just sort of sweeps on to the screen.  I'm just not used to seeing
>stuff like this on a text screen.
>
>Anyone else find it disconcerting?

Yeah I found it to be distracting.  I would have kept it anyways except
for the fact that it writes directly to the screen instead of stdout.
This makes it sort of useless for feeding filter chains, etc.

Shame.  It sure is fast.

-Gary Brant

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/09/89)

In article <732@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:

>Yeah, this LS thang is fast.  But it's so darn weird I don't know if I can
>deal with it.  It beats the Manx LS (which I'm quite happy with overall)
>for speed, but it lists the directories from left to right.  I mean, it looks
>like it prints the whole left column, then the next column, and so on, so the
>whole thing just sort of sweeps on to the screen.  I'm just not used to seeing
>stuff like this on a text screen.
>
>Anyone else find it disconcerting?

I agree it's unusual, but I don't think it's anything to get yer
knickers in a twist about.

It's probably faster, or rather *appears* to be faster, by painting
the first column. You see your screen scroll scroll scroll scroll
anf say to yourself ``wowsers, that wuz quick'', and then it paints
the rest of the listing. I 've gotten used to it in only a couple
of days and I really like it.

Of course if it really bothers you, *blink*.

--
  ``well I got a portal account. geezus what a goofy system.'' - Harv Laser
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV