[comp.sys.amiga] 3-D programs

admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (03/08/89)

I'm thinking about getting into 3-D images and animations on my
A1000 and would like opinions on programs for doing this.

I've been leaning towards Aegis Modeler 3D/Videoscape 3D or
Byte By Byte's Sculpt 3D/Animate 3D.

Concerns I have for this purchase include:
- compatability with other packages and use of prepackaged 3D
  forms. (I'm not much of an artist)
- compatability of the 3D objects with paint programs (convert to IFF?)
- Dumping the animations to video.
- animations running outside of the main program.
- ease of use.

If you have any suggestions/opinions on these or other possible
3D programs please post to the net.

Any and all help, thanks in advance.
Mick

In article <92818@sun.uucp> admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) writes:
>I've been leaning towards Aegis Modeler 3D/Videoscape 3D or
>Byte By Byte's Sculpt 3D/Animate 3D.

	Well, I'm biased.  I like Modeller/VideoScape.  However,
Sculpt/Animate is not without its strengths.  I would strongly suggest that
you sit down and play with both of them.

	Each package attacks the same sort of problem (3D computer graphics)
in vastly different ways.  Thus, they appeal to different people.  Play with
them, and pick the one you like.

>- compatability with other packages and use of prepackaged 3D
>  forms. (I'm not much of an artist)

	Interchange can help you translate object between Sculpt and
VideoScape.  Antic sells a number of disks with pre-made objects on them.

>- compatability of the 3D objects with paint programs (convert to IFF?)

	All 3D programs worth looking at output IFF.

>- Dumping the animations to video.

	This is tricky.  As far as I know, only VideoScape supports this
directly.

>- animations running outside of the main program.

	Freely distributable player programs are usually enclosed with the
software.

>- ease of use.

	Personal preference.  Play with them, and pick the one you like.

>If you have any suggestions/opinions on these or other possible
>3D programs please post to the net.

	Check out Turbo Silver 3.0.  The user interface is a wee bit clumsy,
but the renderer is pure sex.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac