[comp.sys.amiga] VLT and other TLAs

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (02/26/89)

In article <338@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>In article <10755@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
>)I will send VLT and it's paraphernalia off to Bob Page when I get the
>It's been done.  I was wondering what the delay was, but your remarks
>send them to Bob, and also to me, so that I can make my anonymous ftp VLT

These type of postings are so annoying!

"What is that latest version of XYZ", "I have version 2.0 of VLT",
"Is anyone working on ABC",  "I just ported SUPER to the Amiga", etc.

I have seen 6 messages about VLT and have no idea whether it is a word
processor, a spread sheet, a screen blanker, or a glorified game of TIC TAC
TOE.  I had to read the Atari newsgroup to find any articles that said
anything more about Mathametica other than to say that it exists!

The point I'm trying to make is that it is very rude to use TLAs in your
posting without giving some sort of context so that the reader can understand
what you're saying.  (TLA = Three Letter Acronym, which itself is a TLA.)

Please don't mail me details about VLT.  It would be better all around if
the author posted a short article to the net explaining what it is and why
we should be interested in it.

All I ask is that future postings not be so cryptic.  When asking if something
exists, a 3 sentence request is more understandable than a single one.  When
announcing the availability of something, a description that takes 3 to 20
lines would be appreciated.  Thank you.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@opus.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) (02/28/89)

   For all those who don't know, VLT is a VT100/Tektronix terminal emulator
written by Willy Langeveld at SLAC (that's Stanford Linear ACcelerator, I
believe). He is also the moderator of the amiga.user conference on BIX
(Byte Information eXchange). VLT offers VT100 emulation similar to VT100 2.6,
which was its parent (although it has been mostly rewritten, and doesn't
really resemble the VT100 programs much anymore). It also offers Tektronix
4010/4014 graphics terminal emulation, with several 4105 extensions (esp.
12 bit vectors (4096x4096 resolution) and color pen commands). Finally, it
has an AREXX port (AREXX is the Amiga version of the REXX programming
language).

   (I'm afraid I have no idea what either VLT or REXX stand for, if
anything. Sorry. 8-).

  Jim

--

                               Jim Crotinger
                               crotinger%mit.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa

In article <101@ssibbs.UUCP> jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) writes:
>It [VLT] also offers Tektronix
>4010/4014 graphics terminal emulation, with several 4105 extensions (esp.
>12 bit vectors (4096x4096 resolution) and color pen commands).

Just for the record, 12-bit vectors are NOT a 4105 extension. They are the
main feature of the Tek 4014 [actually a 4014 with the Enhanced Graphics
Module].  The Tek 4010 supported only 1024x1024.  VLT supports only four
Tek 4100-style commands:

* Display char string
* Change pen color
* Change pattern
* change colormap value (in HLS format)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

In <101@ssibbs.UUCP>, jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) writes:
>   (I'm afraid I have no idea what either VLT or REXX stand for, if
>anything. Sorry. 8-).

  According to some, REXX has an acronymical meaning, but there seems to be no
reference to it in Cowlishaw's book, "The REXX Language; A Practical Approach
to Programming". In it he states "The REXX language (originally called "REX"),
borrows from many earlier languages; PL/1, Algol, and even APL have had their
influences. I have not been able to find anything in his book that attributes a
meaning to the name REXX.

My European friends tell me VLT stands for "Villy Langenveld's Terminal"

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

Benton_J_Elkins@cup.portal.com (03/10/89)

According to the International B.M. manual, REXX stands for REstructured
eXecutor Extended language.