[comp.sys.amiga] UUCP and my whining Amiga

GIGUERE@WATCSG.BITNET (Eric Giguere) (02/28/89)

Two unrelated questions:

(1) First, how hard is it to set up your Amiga as a UUCP node?  The
    software is available for readnews, mailer, etc., but what else
    is required?  Is it easy to convince a local node to feed you?
    Can you only download the groups you want?  I'm curious to hear
    from those of you who've set up their systems on the net....

(2) My Amiga 2000 is as noisy as a Mac II.  But what's worse, it also
    makes a grating whining noise.  At first I thought it was the monitor
    because of the high frequencies involved.... anyone else experience
    this?  If so, is it curable?  I don't think it's just the fan.

Thanks!

Eric Giguere
Computer Systems Group, University of Waterloo

BITNET: GIGUERE@WATCSG     Internet: giguere@watcsg.UWaterloo.CA
UUNET : watcsg!giguere@uunet.UU.NET

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/04/89)

In article <8902271703.AA11840@jade.berkeley.edu> GIGUERE@WATCSG.BITNET (Eric Giguere) writes:
>Two unrelated questions:
>
>(1) First, how hard is it to set up your Amiga as a UUCP node?  The
>    software is available for readnews, mailer, etc., but what else
>    is required?  Is it easy to convince a local node to feed you?
>    Can you only download the groups you want?  I'm curious to hear
>    from those of you who've set up their systems on the net....

Well, it's kinda lika a Fiat. When it works it's relly great, but
it doesnt always work. Most people who have had problems seem to
have them with posting news after it has been received ok.

I've got my own personal hell isolated down to rnews doing
an Execute to launch unbatchfc, and unbatchfc does all it's
stuff ok, but upon exit'ing it never returns to rnews, it just
exits and leaves rnews and uuqxt sitting there in memory.

ANy ideas anyone?

It sure is nice to be able to mail stuff from your amiga though,
I must say.

Getting a local feed from Waterloo SHOULD be no problem, and yes,
you can receive only what you want.

It's actually reasonably easy to install. ALthough you may want
to buy the nutshell book about managaing UUCP and USENET if you
dont have a sympathetic newsfeed admin.

>(2) My Amiga 2000 is as noisy as a Mac II.

Look on the bright side. You got all that noise for a fraction
of the price.

--
``It was like watching sea-monkeys come to life. Not as impressive as you'd
            thought, but at least they were wiggling.''

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (03/06/89)

>In article richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>I've got my own personal hell isolated down to rnews doing
>an Execute to launch unbatchfc, and unbatchfc does all it's
>stuff ok, but upon exit'ing it never returns to rnews, it just
>exits and leaves rnews and uuqxt sitting there in memory.

YES!!!  I was have this problem with each new distribution.  Not real sure
why it happens but I did find a solution that appears to work quite well.

>ANy ideas anyone?

Of course!  What I did was change that execute line so that the programs being
launched are run at that time.  It means that unbatchfc and rnews and uuxqt
must complete before uucico can finish but that does not seem to cause any
problems on amigash.  I have been meaning to dig back into this and see if
I can figure out how execute is screwing up.  I belive I started seeing this
problem when I switched to 1.3 amigados.  At that time I posted a question
about the execute routine and was told that some of the information used is
different from 1.2 to 1.3.  Was not told what the differences were since
this was stuff apprently verbotten to the normal programmer. :-)

>It sure is nice to be able to mail stuff from your amiga though,
>I must say.

Also being able to read the news at your liesure without worring about a
systems 4 day expire is extremely nice!

>--
>``It was like watching sea-monkeys come to life. Not as impressive as you'd
>            thought, but at least they were wiggling.''
>richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

--
          _
    ///  /_\         	Scot L. Harris    !hoptoad!peora!rtmvax!amigash!scot

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/10/89)

In article <0512.AA0512@amigash> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:

>>In article richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>
>>I've got my own personal hell isolated down to rnews doing
>>an Execute to launch unbatchfc, and unbatchfc does all it's
>>stuff ok, but upon exit'ing it never returns to rnews, it just
>>exits and leaves rnews and uuqxt sitting there in memory.
>
>YES!!!  I was have this problem with each new distribution.  Not real sure
>why it happens but I did find a solution that appears to work quite well.

God, I was beginning to think it was just me.

>>ANy ideas anyone?
>
>Of course!  What I did was change that execute line so that the programs being

[Stuff deleted}

I thought maybe it was too small a stack. I made it 50K. No good.

I thought maybe Matt's shell was getting in the way. Didn't make
any difference.

I recompiled it under Manx and the problem went away.

??????

--
                   Get that duck out of my face
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV