[comp.sys.amiga] DTP and stuff on the amiga

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/10/89)

In article <10923@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <794@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) writes:
>>In article <10901@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>>>	Notice that I didn't put Desktop publishing or Desktop video or
>>>Games up there.  You want Desktop publishing?  You go to Apple.  [ ... ]
>>
>>       Leo, don't we have a solid base of desktop publishing programs
>>  available now?  [ ... ]
>
>	Not as far as I'm concerned.  We may have a few neat parlor tricks,
>but the Mac is already entrenched.  The Mac was a paper-generator since Day
>One.  As such, the desktop publishing technology and software is more mature
>on the Mac.

Oh, piffle.

The mac is a flash in the pan as far as DTP is concerned. They may have
invented ``Personal DTP'', but remember also that Grid invented the laptop
MS-DOS computer. Toshiba is eating them, and everybody else, for lunch
in that arena.

All the analysts and industry busybodies expect that, this year or next,
IBM PC's running DTP will exceed Mac's running DTP's. When you consider
that you can get a 25 Mhz 386 with all the goodies for around
$4K, but a reasonable Mac ][ will cost you $10K, and they both about
the same software, it's not hard to see why.

>	Realize, of course, that this is merely my perception; I don't have
>hard evidence to back this up.  However, I don't think I have yet seen a
>document processor that puts MacWrite to shame (although Brown-Wagh's PenPal
>looks darned impressive).

Well, there's WordPerfect or Troff, whatever you're more familiar with.

And as long as gold disk keep cloning the more successful packages
(Ventura/Propage, Adobe Illustrator/Prodraw) I don't really think
we have anything to complain about.
--
                   Get that duck out of my face
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV