[comp.sys.amiga] Need Help Selecting Laser Printer

dbk@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com (Dave Kinzer) (03/07/89)

  I need some help in selecting a laser printer.  I have an Amiga computer
so I would like to get something that works with this.  This means that
I would like to have an HP or something with HP emulation.

  My wife has a Mac SE so I am looking for something which is compatable
with this computer as well.  This is where I have no knowledge at all.
What kind of interface, compatability, postscript, or whatever is needed
to properly work in the Macintosh environment.

  Ideally, I would like to get an HP LaserJet II with some kind of plug in
board to make it work with the Mac, but I do not know if this is possible.
Alternately, I could write an Amiga driver for the Laserwriter, but I
would like to avoid this if possible.

   Any help from people with some experience in this area would be most
appreciated.  Thanks.

As usual, E-mail is appropriate, and I will E-mail a summary to requestors.
Also, advance apologies if this has been beat to death in the Mac or Laser
group, I haven't frequented them before.

|    // GOATS - Gladly Offering All Their Support  Dave Kinzer (602)897-3085|
|   //  >> In Hell you need 4Mb to Multitask!  <<  uunet!mcdphx!teroach!dbk |
| \X/   #define policy_maker(name) (name->salary > 3 * dave.salary)         |

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/11/89)

In article <10502@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> dbk@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com (Dave Kinzer) writes:

>  I need some help in selecting a laser printer.  I have an Amiga computer
>so I would like to get something that works with this.  This means that
>I would like to have an HP or something with HP emulation.
>
>  My wife has a Mac SE so I am looking for something which is compatable
>with this computer as well.  This is where I have no knowledge at all.
>What kind of interface, compatability, postscript, or whatever is needed
>to properly work in the Macintosh environment.
>
>  Ideally, I would like to get an HP LaserJet II with some kind of plug in
>board to make it work with the Mac, but I do not know if this is possible.
>Alternately, I could write an Amiga driver for the Laserwriter, but I
>would like to avoid this if possible.

Get a PostScript printer. 3 reasons:

1) It will work with your amiga and your wifes mac. (you married her anyway ?)

2) You may one day want to print Helvetica (tm) in a point size greater
   than 15.

3) PostScript has a future.

Disclaimer: I wrote postscript, and own 300,000 shares of Adobe stock.
--
                   Get that duck out of my face
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV