[comp.sys.amiga] Quarterback problem?

rosenbergr@abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg, Computer Science, ]bo Akademi) (03/08/89)

I have had some trouble with QuarterBack. The thing is that I got a harddisk
with C't interface a while ago. Well, after using the system a while, I decided
to make a backup of the harddisk before switching to 1.3 and the real ffs.
After a while the damn thing crash (drrrrrrrrr, klonk!) Probably the driver
which locked up. After reboot and retrying a couple of times the thing wouldn't
even mount. After some hacking on the device driver I managed to get some of
what was on the disk (it IS nice to have the driver source). The drive was so
confused after this that it wouldn't even let me format it. A low-level format
was the only thing!. My guess at this time was that there was something with
the power line.

After this my driver have again worked beautifully without complaining until
yesterday when I made a backup. I made a backup successfully between these
two events (more about that later). Well I started backing up the disk,
and when almost finished the SAME thing happended AGAIN, !"#$%&*@~'
This time I was luckier. Almost nothing lost since the backup was almost
finished when it crashed.

I noticed some facts (coincidents?).
	- The read errors on the harddisk was in the Utilities/ folder where
	  the Quarterback program was run from.
	- I had a second floppy drive connected to the system (df1:)

Also when I made the successfull backup. I did not have a second floppy
attached to the system. After my failure yesterday and recovery after that
I made a successful backup. This time I ran QB from the ram disk and had
no second drive attached.

One thing that I can't remember whether QB was writing a backup report.
I think I swithed that option off since I don't want it.

Q: Has anyone else had a similar problem with Quarterback (version 1.4)?
   I would like to know if it's mere coincidents that QB was used and
   the read error was on the same place?

--------
Robin Rosenberg,  ]bo Akademi, FINLAND
Address: Finn|, 22340 Geta, ]LAND - FINLAND
     or  Studentbyn 40A3, 20510 ]BO, FINLAND
Translation: ']' is an 'A' with a ring on top, '|' is an 'o' with two dots.

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (03/09/89)

I have a Supra interface with a Quantum 40 Mb drive(wonderful drive by
the way) and had problems UNTIL I got the right drivers from Supra.  Your
problem PROBABLY is that the current version of QuarterBack is V2.2 while
you are using V1.4.  I called Central Coast Software(in Colorado ) and
talked to the program's author who was VERY helpful.  I suspect that if
you give them a ring, you can get an upgrade for free(or almost free).

I am more satisfied with QuarterBack than almost any other piece of
commercial software I have ever bought.  It works like a champ(for me
anyway) and more important I have confidence in it.  Great program.
I am only a satisfied customer nothing else.
--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Sytek Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

In article <6148@abo.fi> rosenbergr@abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg, Computer Science, ]bo Akademi) writes:
>I have had some trouble with QuarterBack. The thing is that I got a harddisk
>with C't interface a while ago. Well, after using the system a while, I decided
>to make a backup of the harddisk before switching to 1.3 and the real ffs.
>After a while the damn thing crash (drrrrrrrrr, klonk!) Probably the driver
>which locked up. After reboot and retrying a couple of times the thing wouldn't
>even mount. After some hacking on the device driver I managed to get some of
>what was on the disk (it IS nice to have the driver source). The drive was so
>confused after this that it wouldn't even let me format it. A low-level format
>was the only thing!. My guess at this time was that there was something with
>the power line.

>Also when I made the successfull backup. I did not have a second floppy
>attached to the system. After my failure yesterday and recovery after that
>I made a successful backup. This time I ran QB from the ram disk and had
>no second drive attached.

	Well, I don't know if this was your problem, but: we found a bug in
the trackdisk.device recently which caused floppies to occasionally spin forever
during heavy use.  Whether this happened was releated to the number of floppies,
particularily empty floppies, in the system.

	This has been fixed, and the fix will be part of the next version of
SetPatch released.  Some developers are currently testing it for us.  In the
meantime, keep your floppy drives full when doing lots of disk IO for less
problems (it's pretty rare/non-existant for most people, a few get hit often,
usually when backing up HDs).

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (03/11/89)

In article <6210@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	Well, I don't know if this was your problem, but: we found a bug in
>the trackdisk.device recently ...
>
>	This has been fixed, and the fix will be part of the next version of
>SetPatch released.the

The obvious question comes to mind: how do current owners get updated
software between major releases?  Will CATS provide  periodic maintenance
releases that we can buy the same way that we can buy other materials
(e.g. the CATS Support Materials)?  I think this is a GOOD idea (not that
my opinion matters much).

>Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup
--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]