[comp.sys.amiga] Cowlishaw's book on REXX

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) (03/09/89)

In article <2269@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>  According to some, REXX has an acronymical meaning, but there seems to be no
>reference to it in Cowlishaw's book, "The REXX Language; A Practical Approach
>to Programming". In it he states "The REXX language (originally called "REX"),
>borrows from many earlier languages; PL/1, Algol, and even APL have had their
>influences. I have not been able to find anything in his book that attributes a
>meaning to the name REXX.

I have been unable to locate a copy of this book.  I tried to order it
through B. Dalton, and was told it is not one they can order.

Where did you get a copy?

Thanks,

Kerry Zimmerman
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!kaz  VERSYSS Corporation 213-323-8170
A difference between an amateur and a professional,
is that a professional has the right tools.

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (03/11/89)

I paid I believe $36.95 for the brief (under 120 pages as I remember)
Colinshaw paperback on REXX.  The primary reason was to see how faithful
a rendition of REXX was implemented as AREXX.  Indeed it seems to be all
there and my advice to any potential purchasers is that Bill Hawes manual
covers all of REXX, and its Amiga-specific extentions.  If you have a need
to write portable code that'll run on other vanilla REXX implementations,
then sure, go ahead and get the Colinshaw book (a good book, but redundant
given the quality of Bill's manual).  But otherwise, forget it.

I found mine at Computer Literacy, in Sunnyvale, CA.  If you want to
buy mine at a slightly reduced rate, like maybe $30, shipping included,
then email me.  I'm a book-a-holic, maybe I'll "need" it someday so I'm
not likely to be willing to sell it for any less.   Ah, the smell of a
library at nightfall...

Rob Peck

In <2340@cadovax.UUCP>, kaz@cadovax.UUCP (Kerry Zimmerman) writes:
 >In article <2269@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
 >>
 >>  According to some, REXX has an acronymical meaning, but there seems to be no
 >>reference to it in Cowlishaw's book, "The REXX Language; A Practical Approach
 >>to Programming". In it he states "The REXX language (originally called "REX"),
 >>borrows from many earlier languages; PL/1, Algol, and even APL have had their
 >>influences. I have not been able to find anything in his book that attributes a
 >>meaning to the name REXX.

 >I have been unable to locate a copy of this book.  I tried to order it
 >through B. Dalton, and was told it is not one they can order.
 >
 >Where did you get a copy?

I bought mine at a little store here in Vancouver BC called Siliconnections.
It's a computer bokstore that carries a good variety of books, and if not in
stock, they can order it. I have yet to try to find something that I couldn't
get from them. I don't know if they do mail order, but their number is
(604) 222-2221.

I am leaving Sunday for a month-long trip to Mt. View and Milpitas, and will be
staying in San Jose, so while I'm there, I'll check for it in the large
computer book store I saw in Sunnyvale the last time I was down. I know they do
mail order, and they carry just about everything.

The ISBN number of the REXX programming book is: 0-13-780735-x 01

Hope this helps.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.