[comp.sys.amiga] pd sound digitizer

MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (02/03/89)

Well I was wasting time in Radio Shack yesterday when I found they had
8 bit analog to digital converters for $10 apiece.   I dont have much
electronics background, but I have seen a few sound digitizers, and it
seems to me they are relatively simple to make ( well compared to a LUCAS
board anyways.)   So I was wondering if some kind soul out there might
direct me to PD schematics of a sound digitizer.  Has anyone used the
Radio Shack 8-bit A/D chip?  Could you post your info to comp.sys.amiga?

Thanks in Advance

Dennis Gorrie  <MOLNARRM AT UREGINA1.BITNET>

' Chain-Saw Tag... Try it... You'll like it!! '

ranjit@ENIAC.SEAS.UPENN.EDU (02/04/89)

>If it's any encouragement, at least one commercial digitizer
>(MacRecorder from some company in Berkeley) uses that cheap
>radio shack chip.  Last october or so they were on sale, so I
>bought one for $3 - but I haven't done a thing with it.
>
>        -ranjit
>

>--
>
>Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...

It seems to me it must be the same chip used in the TAndy 1000 SL and TL for
sound digitizing.  Therefore there should be a cheap way to implement it as an
Amiga digitizer.

Dennis Gorrie  <molnarrm at uregina1.bitnet>

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Lee) (02/07/89)

In article <8902040004.AA00952@jade.berkeley.edu< MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET writes:
<Well I was wasting time in Radio Shack yesterday when I found they had
<8 bit analog to digital converters for $10 apiece.   I dont have much
<electronics background, but I have seen a few sound digitizers, and it
<seems to me they are relatively simple to make ( well compared to a LUCAS
<board anyways.)   So I was wondering if some kind soul out there might
<direct me to PD schematics of a sound digitizer.  Has anyone used the
<Radio Shack 8-bit A/D chip?  Could you post your info to comp.sys.amiga?
<
<Thanks in Advance
<
<Dennis Gorrie  <MOLNARRM AT UREGINA1.BITNET>
<
<' Chain-Saw Tag... Try it... You'll like it!! '

Hmmmm.  If it's the same chip I think it is, I don't think you can use
it for a sound digitizer.  If it's a 8-pin package, then I believe the
chip communicates serially, and it digitizes at too slow a rate for a
decent sound sample (it think it works at well below the 10kHz.)  I looked
at this chip when I was designing my sound digitizer.  I finally used a
ADC0809 that I happened to have, but I had to push its clock to ~1.5x its
rated max before it would sample at 40kHz (kids, don't try this at home.)
It's actually relatively simple.  If there's a demand, I may post my
schematics; but then again, I may not--it's such a kludge!
Raining CATS & DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System.
ARPAnet: johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU		John Lee
UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cory!johnhlee

MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) (02/15/89)

Thanks very much for the sound digitizer plans!
Do you have any idea how to get in touch with the designer, Jamie C. Mueller
on Genie?  I was just wondering, as I think it would be neat to try and add
stereo digitizing to it.

I have been looking at the plans for a while now.  I plan to buy the parts
as soon as I get my next pay check :-)   .   I wanted to ask, what kind
of packaging did you put it in?  Also, do you know if 100k pots with adjusting
knobs exist?  I guess I will have to look around for one.

Last thing.  I have an A1000, and the pin out for my parallel port is
different from an a500.   Could anyone send me the parallel connector
pin outs for an A500?  (Three columns:    PIN,    NAME,    DESCRIPTION   )
The pins concerned are 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,14,25.  But I would like the
WHOLE A500 pinout for future reference.

Thanks in Advance

|============================================================================|
| (patient)  Go ahead doc, tell me the worst.                                |
| (doctor)   I'm sorry, but you have MS-DOS...                               |
| (patient)  MS-DOS??   ...Maybe I caught it from a toilet seat or something.|
| Dennis Gorrie (molnarrm at uregina1.bitnet)                                |
|============================================================================|

MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) (02/16/89)

Someone heard my pleas for help, and sent plans for a sound digitizer!
It is supposed to work with Perfect Sound software.  I have NOT built it yet,
but if you want, I can TRY to send the UUencoded plans to anyone that wants
them.   Thanks again to all of you that responded with helpful sugestions!

|============================================================================|
| (patient)  Go ahead doc, tell me the worst.                                |
| (doctor)   I'm sorry, but you have MS-DOS...                               |
| (patient)  MS-DOS??   ...Maybe I caught it from a toilet seat or something.|
| Dennis Gorrie (molnarrm at uregina1.bitnet)                                |
|============================================================================|

bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/18/89)

Sorry to waste bandwidth, but I can't seem to mail directly to you. I would
be very interested in such plans!  It would probably easiest to post the
plans to comp.binaries.amiga so everyone could get a copy.

Brian Yamanaka
University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign

wdao@sal11.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (03/10/89)

A sort time ago,
sombody said that there was a file describing how to build a sound digitiser.
well,
could somebody send me that set of files ?

		d.w

admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (03/11/89)

In article <2995@nunki.usc.edu>, wdao@sal11.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:
> A sort time ago,
> sombody said that there was a file describing how to build a sound digitiser.
> well,
> could somebody send me that set of files ?
>
> 		d.w

	Me too! Thanks.

In <93403@sun.uucp>, admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) writes:
 >According to the International B.M. manual, REXX stands for REstructured
>eXecutor Extended language.

As I mentioned, I knew there was a supposed acronym, but it was probably
crammed into fitting after the fact. Cowlishaw makes no mention of it standing
for anything. This sounds like a typical IBM thing.

DMF = Data Migration Facility. Most folks call it a cable.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.