[comp.sys.amiga] RKM

shaulp@pnet02.cts.com (Shaul Peleg) (02/18/89)

 I just read somewhere that there will be a new version of the A&W RKMs.
 Caan someone please confirm this for the truth?
 Thanks very much (oh how I wish) -=SP=-

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!shaulp
INET: shaulp@pnet02.cts.com

stan@hpcvca.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) (02/24/89)

I went to my local book store to order the set of RKM's the other day
and found that the "Books In Print" catalog lists them as under revision
with no publication date or price set yet.  I put my order in anyway,
in the hope that they will be published before V1.4 comes out 8-).

Stan.
stan@hp-pcd --- hplabs!hp-pcd!stan

urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (02/27/89)

In article <5660033@hpcvca.HP.COM>, stan@hpcvca.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) writes:
>  the "Books In Print" catalog lists them as under revision
> I put my order in anyway,
> in the hope that they will be published before V1.4 comes out 8-).

But why would you want RKM manuals that describe (if up to date) V1.3
if they will soon be obsoleted by V1.4 which is supposed to be a big
revision?  Is it perhaps that you think V1.4 is so far in the future
that RKMs describing V1.3 (to be published RSN :-)) will nevertheless
be current sufficiently long to be usefull?
Is this attitude  optimistic?  realistic? or pessimistic? :-)

ksp@anuck.UUCP (p.s.kasten) (02/28/89)

To kill the RSN feeling about the new RKM's:  Last Saturday, I saw one
of the three new RKM's in my AMIGA dealer's shop.  For $35, it contains
the 1.3 includes, and printer driver examples.  I don't remember what else it
had.  It was about the same size as the Libraries and Devices RKM we are
so familiar with.

phil kasten
at&t bell labs
!att!mvuxi!ksp

stan@hpcvca.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) (03/01/89)

> urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:

>> I put my order in anyway,
>> in the hope that they will be published before V1.4 comes out 8-).

> But why would you want RKM manuals that describe (if up to date) V1.3
> if they will soon be obsoleted by V1.4 which is supposed to be a big
> revision?  Is it perhaps that you think V1.4 is so far in the future
> that RKMs describing V1.3 (to be published RSN :-)) will nevertheless
> be current sufficiently long to be usefull?
> Is this attitude  optimistic?  realistic? or pessimistic? :-)

Well, I don't know for sure.  Depends on how you look at it 8-).
In the computer world, few released things are not immediately obsolete.
One has to start somewhere gathering information.  Today is just about
as good as tomorrow.

I doubt that everything in the kernel will be obsolete when 1.4 is
released (did someone say upwardly compatible?),  and, most likely,
those things that do change will be well documented.

On a scale of o to p, I'll give it an r.

Stan Gibbs
hplabs!hp-pcd!stan

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (03/06/89)

in article <5660034@hpcvca.HP.COM>, stan@hpcvca.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) says:
>> urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
>> But why would you want RKM manuals that describe (if up to date) V1.3
>> if they will soon be obsoleted by V1.4 which is supposed to be a big
>> revision?  Is it perhaps that you think V1.4 is so far in the future

Because I'm currently using the v1.1 RKMs ;-). Waiting yet another
year for 1.4 to come out doesn't seem... adequate.

>> that RKMs describing V1.3 (to be published RSN :-)) will nevertheless
>> be current sufficiently long to be usefull?

My 1.1 RKMs, along with the 1.2 and 1.3 autodocs, are still current
enough to be useful. Why should the 1.3 RKMs be any different?

> In the computer world, few released things are not immediately
obsolete.

All too true. There's many who'll tell you right now that the Amiga
itself is obsolete (I don't agree with that, but I DO agree that the
video display is obsolete and doesn't have the necessary "hooks" for
easy expansion). But what are you going to do? Wait for Sun
workstations to come down to $2k? Wait until you can get a Crayette on
your desk? What do you do in the meantime?

The answer is simple. You buy the 1.3 RKMs, you use them a year or
two, then you buy the 1.4 RKMs.

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //  ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849     |

bryce@cbmvax.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) (03/06/89)

In article <7435@> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
|in article <5660034@hpcvca.HP.COM>, stan@hpcvca.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) says:
|| in article <> urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
|| But why would you want RKM manuals that describe (if up to date) V1.3
|| if they will soon be obsoleted by V1.4...

The old RKM's described V1.1 of the system software.  These new V1.3
RKMs will be a large improvement.

| In the computer world, few released things are not immediately
| obsolete.

At this time the new manual is %100 up-to-date.  Every scrap of current
information was included in the manual.

As V1.4 Kickstart and Workbench are developed, they will initially be
described in the form of "change notes".  Purchasers of the V1.3 manual
set will not be loosing their investment.

The V1.3 manuals are significantly better organized than any previous
edition.  Many new charts and lists have been included to appeal to
the advanced developer.  The introductions have been reviewed for clarity
by novice programmers.  And, unlike previous editions, every code
example was re-tested from the final typeset source.

--
|\_/|  . ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!
{O o} .     Bryce Nesbitt

ksp@anuck.UUCP (p.s.kasten) (03/07/89)

In article <6143@cbmvax.UUCP>, bryce@cbmvax.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
> .................., every code
> example was re-tested from the final typeset source.

The Manx compiling instructions indicate to use the default compiler flags
and to link with c.lib, but most of the examples don't specify LONGs when they
should.  Instead, they just use default size ints.

phil kasten
at&t bell labs
att!mvuxi!ksp

dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu (Daniel Zenchelsky) (03/13/89)

After purchasing Robert Peck's book "Programmers Guide to the Amiga"
over the weekend, I decidede that I needed an Rom Kernel Manual. My
Questions:  What exactly is the RKM?  Where can I buy it?  How much
will it cost me?

Thanks

-Dan

P.S. It's a great book.

| ||   |o|  Daniel Zenchelsky  --  dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu  |
| |   _  |  "Yes, but every time I try to see things your   |
| \_[]_|_|   way, I get a headache."                        |