[comp.sys.amiga] A500 dream drive?

SS24766%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bryan Stover) (03/14/89)

Suffering from severe case of hard drive fever...may do something rash...
looking for best value in 30 megs or more for strapped A500 budget.

BriWall of Kutztown, PA advertises a 'Trumpcard 500 w/3-1/2" 32 meg for
$559.' Conversation with salesperson reveals that the drive is a Seagate
ST138N, 40ms access time, autoboot Eprom, but *NO* power supply. The gent
said 'twould work fine with A501 512k expansion and A1010 external drive.
The kit (enclosure, drive, and controller) comes unassembled, a fan was not
mentioned, and "the bus stops here". BriWall expects the enclosures "this
week"...the rest is in stock and ready to ship.

Is this package a great buy, iffy proposition, or time lapse tragedy? A dose
of reality, please!

Second runner-up in the El Cheapo sweepstakes is the MAST Tiny Tiger at $629
for 30 megs. Have not ascertained details on this one yet. Any knowledgeable
opinions? Or other recommendations for A500 minibucks types?

Sincere appreciation here for any help offered. Will summarize to the net
any E-mail responses that reach me here on Bitnet. Muchas muchas!

CHEERS!   BSTOVER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (SS24766@UAFSYSB)

   "THE EARTH IS BUT ONE COUNTRY, AND MANKIND ITS CITIZENS."
                                                           BAHA'U'LLAH

In article <10774@louie.udel.EDU> SS24766%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bryan Stover) writes:
>BriWall of Kutztown, PA advertises a 'Trumpcard 500 w/3-1/2" 32 meg for
>$559.' Conversation with salesperson reveals that the drive is a Seagate
>ST138N, 40ms access time, autoboot Eprom, but *NO* power supply. The gent
>said 'twould work fine with A501 512k expansion and A1010 external drive.

	Uh, I do hope they're not powering it off the the Amiga.  Bad idea,
quick way to fry your PS.  The A500 PS has only enough power for 1 external
drive and the internal mem expansion.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup