[comp.sys.amiga] F-16 Versus DF1: The War Continues....

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (03/11/89)

	I'd like to being by thanking every for their help in getting my F-16
running.  However, the situation has taken a stranger twist, and I'd like to
find out why.

	The story so far...

1)  F-16 requires all 512K to run, leaving no memory for DF1:
2)  The obvious answer to this is to remove DF1:  This is obviously a clumsy
answer.
3)  Use Install2, a program which will ignore DF1: when booting up.  I haven't
tried this, but I think it will work.

However, I happen to have a kickstart eliminator.  This gives me 256k of extra
ram, and I would like to use it on F-16 because this would give me access to
the black box feature, which uses the extra ram.

To inform the system of the additional memory, I have to issue the command
ADDMEM 0f80000 0fbffff in the startup sequence.  The game loads up fine, using
the second drive, but the sound doesn't work!!!  I get the title song, and
every time I use the engines I get a BOOM, but nothing else makes a sound.

I've tried putting the addmem statement in a seperate startup-sequence to give
it time to load so that Falcon couldn't possibly get intertwined with memory
allocation with it, but it's no good.

	I feel like I'm really close to getting this thing to work.  If anybody
has any ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

					Russell Williams

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (03/11/89)

In article <4168@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>	I'd like to being by thanking every for their help in getting my F-16
>running.  However, the situation has taken a stranger twist, and I'd like to
>find out why.

[ stuff about attempts at implementation deleted ]

>To inform the system of the additional memory, I have to issue the command
>ADDMEM 0f80000 0fbffff in the startup sequence.  The game loads up fine, using
>the second drive, but the sound doesn't work!!!  I get the title song, and
>every time I use the engines I get a BOOM, but nothing else makes a sound.
>
>I've tried putting the addmem statement in a seperate startup-sequence to give
>it time to load so that Falcon couldn't possibly get intertwined with memory
>allocation with it, but it's no good.

I have an A1000 with a Spirit Inboard, giving a total of 2.5 Mb.  The catch
is that I have the memory strapped for non-autoconfig, so that brain-damaged
programs like Halley Project can run.  I just copied the Falcon disk and
added the addmem statement before running Falcon.  I don't know if it will
run with the black box in .75 Mb, but it should run with a second drive
in .75 Mb.  I did get it to work, and I play on a daily basis.  There was
no perceptible increase in loading time after adding the addmem.  My disk
does not thrash excessively, even though I altered the state of a nearly
full disk.  Must be all that clean living ;-)

-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

himacdonald@spurge.waterloo.edu (Hamish Macdonald) (03/16/89)

Hi there.  My friend and I got fed up with having to stick the second
disk of Falcon in df0: and tapping space everytime we played it.
This is especially true since his df0: trashes disks on write at the moment
(no Sierra-Hotel).

I conferred with a friend who had put falcon on a hard disk.

The solution I came up with, to allow putting disk 1 in df0: and disk 2 in
df1: is as follows:

    put the 'assign' command on 'Falcon Disk 1'
    change s/startup-sequence (on disk 1) so that the first
       command is 'assign "Falcon Disk 2:" df1:'
    relabel 'Falcon Disk 2' to something else (I used 'FalcDisk2').

Remember kiddies:  Do this with a COPY of the Falcon disks.

After this, I only have to click the mouse button on the 'Intro' screen
and it will start up automatically.

(Interesting side effect..  The three times I have booted Falcon since
 doing this, it has asked for EXACTLY the same password each time!)

So if you too wish to use your second drive, try my solution.

Cheers,

Hamish.
Hamish Macdonald, Lowly 4B CS/EEE              himacdonald@spurge.waterloo.edu
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont.