[comp.sys.amiga] CATS Support Materials 01/89

smithey@esosun.UUCP (Brian Smithey) (03/09/89)

Carolyn's original appeared in .tech, I'm steering Followup's to c.s.a:

In article <6139@cbmvax.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>    >>>>>>>>>>>>> CATS AMIGA DEVELOPER SUPPORT MATERIALS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
>           ITEM NAME                        VERSION            PRICES
>           =========                        =======            ======
>
>     Amiga Software Toolkit
>        (Wack and other utilities)          09/88             $25 (US)

Can anyone tell me what some of these other utilities are?  I seem to
remember a README on the 1.2 Extras disk mentioning that some of the
Extras were from the "maybe to be released someday" Software Toolkit.
I'm thinking of ordering this, but not if much of it is duplicated on
the Extras disk.

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian Smithey / SAIC, Geophysics Division / San Diego CA
uucp:	   uunet!seismo!esosun!smithey

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (03/09/89)

In article <332@sjofn.esosun.UUCP> smithey@sjofn.css.gov.UUCP (Brian Smithey) writes:
>Carolyn's original appeared in .tech, I'm steering Followup's to c.s.a:
>
>In article <6139@cbmvax.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>>    >>>>>>>>>>>>> CATS AMIGA DEVELOPER SUPPORT MATERIALS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>
>>           ITEM NAME                        VERSION            PRICES
>>           =========                        =======            ======
>>
>>     Amiga Software Toolkit
>>        (Wack and other utilities)          09/88             $25 (US)
>>

>Can anyone tell me what some of these other utilities are?  I seem to
>remember a README on the 1.2 Extras disk mentioning that some of the
>Extras were from the "maybe to be released someday" Software Toolkit.
>I'm thinking of ordering this, but not if much of it is duplicated on
>the Extras disk.

While there are some programs common to Toolkit and Extras, there are a
lot of useful programs unique to Toolkit.  You be the judge.

A complete listing of the contents of the Software Toolkit follows:

==                                                                          ==
==                   AMIGA Software Toolkit contents                        ==
==                                                                          ==

== SWtoolKit:Debug ===========================================================

     MemList
	Lists the addresses and sizes of memory blocks.

     MemMung
	Tests for illegal uses of memory.

     WatchMem
	Inspects low memory for illegal writes.

     Wedge/Wedge
	Monitors calls to any library function.

     Wedge/AvailMem.k
     Wedge/AvailMem.w
     Wedge/Open.w
     Wedge/OpenWindow.w
     Wedge/Wedge.Help
     Wedge/Wedge.KillAll
     Wedge/Wedge.List
	Scripts for use with Wedge.

== SWtoolKit:IFF =============================================================

     Display
	Displays graphics saved in IFF ILBM format.

     ScreenSave
	Saves graphics (screens) in IFF ILBM format.

== SWtoolKit:Other ===========================================================

     Cards
	Displays the index cards in an ASCII card file.

     68000Cards
	An ASCII card file containing 68000 mnemonics for use with Cards.

     FreeMap
	Displays chip memory usage.

     KeyToy1000
	Displays the current global keymap for the Amiga 1000.

     KeyToy2000
	Displays the current global keymap for the Amiga 500 and Amiga 2000.

     PerfMon
	Displays a graphic representation of system-wide performance.

     PrinterTest
	Tests a printer's features.

== SWtoolKit:Tools ===========================================================

     Control
	Controls the parameters of a graphic print.

     Icon2C
	Saves the Image data of a Workbench icon to an ASCII file.

     MEmacs
	A text editor.

     MergeMem
	Merges the MemLists of RAM boards.

     Palette
	Changes the colors of a screen.

     PrintFiles
	Copies files to the printer.

== SWtoolKit:Workbench =======================================================

     Cancel
	Prevents the appearance of AutoRequesters and Alerts.

     IconMerge
	Merges two single-image icons or splits a double-image icon.

     SetFont
	Changes the default type font used by Workbench.

== SWtoolKit:c ===============================================================

     Absload
	Converts Amiga loader format to Motorola srecords.

     Addmem
	Links external, non-autoconfigured RAM added to the Amiga's
	system free list.

     Alink
	Links Amiga binary object files into loadable files.

     Atom
	Specifies the portions of a program that should be loaded into
	CHIP memory and/or FAST memory.

     DiskEd
	Inpects and patches disk blocks.

     Drip
	Reveals unrestrained memory allocation or deallocation.

     Frags
	Displays the system free memory size distribution.

     MoreRows
	Increases the width and/or height of the Workbench screen.

     Printa
	Prints the contents of Amiga binary format files.

     Read
	Reads data from the parallel port or serial line and stores
	it in a file.

     ROMWack
	Runs the Amiga's ROM-resident debugger.

     SetParallel
	Allows the CLI user to dynamically change any particular
	parallel port parameter.

     ShowLocks
	Prints outstanding Locks on a given program.

     Snoop
	Reports memory allocation and deallocation.

     StripA
	Removes debug and symbol hunks from binary load files.

     StripC
	Removes comments and extraneous white space characters from C
	programs.

     Wack
	An interactive, symbolic debugger.

== SWtoolKit:s ===============================================================

     Wack/exec.macros
     Wack/graphics.macros
     Wack/intuition.macros
     Wack/wack.macros
	Sample macros for use with Wack.

== SWtoolKit:t ===============================================================

    version
	Contains the version number of the disk.

--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (03/16/89)

In article <6189@cbmvax.UUCP> eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) writes:
>In article <332@sjofn.esosun.UUCP> smithey@sjofn.css.gov.UUCP (Brian Smithey) writes:
>
>A complete listing of the contents of the Software Toolkit follows:
>
>     MoreRows
>	Increases the width and/or height of the Workbench screen.
>
>--
>Eric Cotton
>Commodore-Amiga

Huh?  Commodore is distributing MoreRows?  I was under the impression
that MoreRows was a very useful but UNSUPPORTED program.  Since
Commodore is now distributing it, does this mean the thing is now
guaranteed not to break under future revisions?

=========================
			Lyle Levine
 Paths:
	UUCP -> ...!uunet!wucs1!wugate!wuphys!lel
	Internet -> lel@wuphys.wustl.edu

	Best way: (314)889-6379 (work)

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (03/17/89)

In article <649@wuphys.UUCP> lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) writes:
)Huh?  Commodore is distributing MoreRows?  I was under the impression
)that MoreRows was a very useful but UNSUPPORTED program.  Since
)Commodore is now distributing it, does this mean the thing is now
)guaranteed not to break under future revisions?

We're going to give it that old college try.  Actually, future versions
support an elaborate set of standard overscan dimensions, and easy access
to them.  But the prefs fields that MoreRows sets and the corresponding
notion of STDSCREENHEIGHT (and now STDSCREENWIDTH) will continue to
mean what they have meant.

If we run into problems with absolute compatibility, there will be workable
substitutes provided with the system and clear instructions on their use.
In any case, we hope to have interactive programs to set preferred overscan
and standard screen dimensions.

OK?

Note that MoreRows doesn't poke IBase values, but rather sets some preferences
fields.

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (03/17/89)

In article <649@wuphys.UUCP> lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) writes:
>Commodore is now distributing it, does this mean the thing is now
>guaranteed not to break under future revisions?

Nope; the status of the Morerows program has not changed in any way shape or
form.  No promises intended or implied.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"The salesperson said this computer is the next best thing to sliced
 bread, but didn't say what to do about the crumbs in the disk drive."