[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with SetClock

odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) (03/15/89)

	One of my friends here at UCSC has an Amiga and starting asked me
to post this to the net in hopes that someone could help him or at least
give him an idea of what is going on and how to fix it.  I hope this has
not been discussed before and I missed it.  Anyway, please mail all reponses
to:
	madbard@ucscb.UCSC.EDU
	...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!madbard
	madbard%ucscb.ucsc.edu@cunyvm.bitnet

Please dot not post replies as he thinks rn is the antichrist and never uses it
so will not see any responses.  Anyway, here is his situation:

-------------------------

	I think my clock has died.  I was working on Amy2000 and attempted
a warm reboot.  All of a sudden, the screen flashed then displayed this
weird pattern (sort of mutation of the "red" screen (the one after
the black and before the white during a warm reboot) which all
these irregular lines across the screen and a prolonged screech was
heard, presumably from the monitor but it could have been the box...

	Undaunted, I just attempted another warm reboot.  The screen cleared,
the noise stopped and everything booted okay until the startup-sequence hit
the SetClock line and I got an error message and everything locked up.

	Could it just be the battery has died?
	Should I open Amy up and check seating?
	Am I going to need an expensive repair job? (I don't have the money!!)

Please, any and all help is welcomed!!!!!!

---------------------------

Again, please direct all responses to him, not me.

Jon
|Jon Granrose         |  ARPA: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU |CIS: 74036,3241|  // Only |
|Cowell College, UCSC |  UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!odin         |\X/ Amiga!|
|Santa Cruz, CA 95064 |Bitnet: odin%ucscb.ucsc.edu@cunyvm.bitnet    ~~~~~~~~~~|
|"A mind is a terrible thing" "Remember, no matter where you go there you are"|

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (03/16/89)

In article <6689@saturn.ucsc.edu>, odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) writes:

> 	I think my clock has died.  I was working on Amy2000 and attempted
> a warm reboot.  All of a sudden, the screen flashed then displayed this
> weird pattern (sort of mutation of the "red" screen (the one after
> the black and before the white during a warm reboot) which all
> these irregular lines across the screen and a prolonged screech was
> heard, presumably from the monitor but it could have been the box...
>
> 	Undaunted, I just attempted another warm reboot.  The screen cleared,
> the noise stopped and everything booted okay until the startup-sequence hit
> the SetClock line and I got an error message and everything locked up.
>
> 	Could it just be the battery has died?
> 	Should I open Amy up and check seating?
> 	Am I going to need an expensive repair job? (I don't have the money!!)
>
>  _____________________________________________________________________________
> |Jon Granrose         |  ARPA: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU |CIS: 74036,3241|  // Only |
> |Cowell College, UCSC |  UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!odin         |\X/ Amiga!|
> |Santa Cruz, CA 95064 |Bitnet: odin%ucscb.ucsc.edu@cunyvm.bitnet    ~~~~~~~~~~|
> |"A mind is a terrible thing" "Remember, no matter where you go there you are"|
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Two days ago my wife noticed that the automatic date function in
the WordProcessor was a couple of days slow.  So I try to set the
clock.  I can set it with Preferences but SetClock gives Battery
Backed up Clock Not Found with either the save or reset options.

Is this the fabled clock virus or is my 2000s battery dead too?

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (03/17/89)

In article <2779@mibte.UUCP>, jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
> In article <6689@saturn.ucsc.edu>, odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) writes:
> >
> > 	I think my clock has died.  I was working on Amy2000 and attempted
> Two days ago my wife noticed that the automatic date function in
> the WordProcessor was a couple of days slow.  So I try to set the
> clock.  I can set it with Preferences but SetClock gives Battery
> Backed up Clock Not Found with either the save or reset options.
>
> Is this the fabled clock virus or is my 2000s battery dead too?
>
> --
>
> Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
> Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay
> 29777 Telegraph                   |      Station-to-Station rates."
> Southfield, Mich. 48034           |
>
> ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

There is no clock virus.
Your battery is probably fine.
The clock chip has a test bit that can get inadvertently set by a
buggy program if it stomps through the right part of memory.  That
is why the 1.3 setclock has a reset option.  Unfortunately, there's
a bug in the 1.3 setclock reset that causes it to not work.

I think there's a program that does reset the clock's test bit
floating around somewhere.

What has worked for me in the past was running the 1.2 setclock load,
which still gave the error but seemed to reset the test bit because
subsequently 1.3 setclock could set the time fine.

I suspect removing the battery and leaving the computer off for a
couple of days might also work, but would be a real pain.

It would be nice to have an updated version of setclock that had a
working reset option.  I'm sure that this will have been fixed for
the 1.4 setclock at least.
--
Hugh D. Gamble  (416) 581-4354  {lsuc, utzoo}!censor!hugh  (Std. Disclaimers)
I don't want to live in a beer commercial,