[comp.sys.amiga] 1581 to amiga ... works!

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (03/18/89)

After mucha gnashing of teeth, I have sucessfully "ported" my
CBM 1581 disk drive to my Amiga 2500!O

Several people requested details, so here they are.....

1) remove the drive from the 1581 case, and mounting plate.
2) There is a jumper on the motherboard that indicates the number of
   internal drives there are. The jumper, J301, is next to the power
   supply, underneath the diskdrive ribbon cable. The jumper needs to
   be "shorted" to indicate two drives.
3) The 1581 drive has 6 sets of jumpers. The come configured as such:
                              Back of drive
                             ____________________
                                     Xooooo
                                     XooooX
                                     oooooX
                                     123456

   The jumper on the bottom 2 pins of #6 neds to be moved to the bottom
   two pins of #5. This is the drive "addressing", and was real fun
   to  figure out! :-)
5) Plug in the power and ribbon cable.

You nowhave a second drive. There are pads on the drive's controller
to allow the addition of a led (probably a good idea :-).

My next project is to figure out how to mount the thing in my 2500.
The hard disk is in the 2nd 3.5" drive's spot, so I will have to
move it down to the 5.24" shelf. I also need to fabricate a plastic front
cover for the drive. Anyone have a broken drive that they are willing
to part with the front cover????

    "This isn't Heaven, this is Cleveland!!!!"

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu (Robert Steven Richardson) (03/19/89)

In article <0dDrm14f9y1010YXavY@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>After mucha gnashing of teeth, I have sucessfully "ported" my
>CBM 1581 disk drive to my Amiga 2500!O

Impressive Details Deleted

>My next project is to figure out how to mount the thing in my 2500.
>The hard disk is in the 2nd 3.5" drive's spot, so I will have to
>move it down to the 5.24" shelf. I also need to fabricate a plastic front
>cover for the drive. Anyone have a broken drive that they are willing
>to part with the front cover????
>
>                          Dave Lowrey
>                          Amdahl Corp.
>                          Houston, Texas
>                          (713)-850-8828
>                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

Check out "Computer SHopper" or a similar advertising magazine.  There are
numerous companies selling inexpensive 3.5" to 5.25" bay mounting kits
for older (and less useful) blue computers.  While you are hooking up
the new drive lights, have some fun and reverse them for df0: and df1:
Fool your friends, fun at parties!

Bob Richardson
richarr@nikola.cs.orst.edu

"I have no opionions, other than my own."