[comp.sys.amiga] Tetris .. where?

vin@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Vincent J. Erickson) (03/10/89)

I have heard people discussing that there are several PD versions of
Tetris available. Where, from whom, etc. may I acquire a copy? Thanks
in advance.

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (03/14/89)

One thing I'd really like to see in a Tetris-like game is different
polyominoes.  Dominoes are trivial, as are triominoes, but pentominoes
would be quite a challenge.  Hexominoes would be damn near impossible,
I suspect.  And let people set the depth & width of the playing field, too.

Then if you're ambitious, add triangular polyominoes with 60 degree
rotation...
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/17/89)

In article <853@microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp@microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>One thing I'd really like to see in a Tetris-like game is different
>polyominoes.  Dominoes are trivial, as are triominoes, but pentominoes
>would be quite a challenge.  Hexominoes would be damn near impossible,
>I suspect.  And let people set the depth & width of the playing field, too.

Actually "pentominoes" would be quite impossible.  You can't fill a
plane with regular pentagons.  "Hexominoes" on the other hand is quite
possible.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) (03/17/89)

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>Actually "pentominoes" would be quite impossible.  You can't fill a
>plane with regular pentagons.  "Hexominoes" on the other hand is quite
>possible.

>Eric Kennedy
>ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

This is drifting away from comp.sys.amiga, but:

How about making your dropping pieces out of both triangles and pentagons
in order to make a valid 2d tiling?  Then, depending on your orientations,
the tricky part is deciding when you have a full row. :^)

For those interested in making tilings out of non-obvious shapes, read
"Penrose Tiles to Trapdoor Ciphers ... and the Return of Doctor Matrix"
by Martin Gardner (Freeman, (C) 1989).

In the Shareware version of Tetrix, is there anyone else who has survived
level 10 for a while?  I lost it when a nephiew moved the mouse while
I had dmouse running.  (Those who have played with dmouse running will
understand the strange effects.)  Such is life.

We now return you to your previously scheduled comp.sys.amiga, already
in progress.

/\/\ /|  |    /||| /\|       | John M. Olsen, 1547 Jamestown Drive  /\/\
\/\/ \|()|\|\_ |||.\/|/)@|\_ | Salt Lake City, UT  84121-2051       \/\/
/\/\  |  u-jmolse%ug@cs.utah.edu or ...!utah-cs!utah-ug!u-jmolse    /\/\
\/\/             "A full mailbox is a happy mailbox"                \/\/

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (03/19/89)

In article <16810@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <853@microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp@microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>>One thing I'd really like to see in a Tetris-like game is different
>>polyominoes.  Dominoes are trivial, as are triominoes, but pentominoes
>>would be quite a challenge.  Hexominoes would be damn near impossible,
>>I suspect.  And let people set the depth & width of the playing field, too.
>
>Actually "pentominoes" would be quite impossible.  You can't fill a
>plane with regular pentagons.  "Hexominoes" on the other hand is quite
>possible.

Me-thinks you are a might confused about pentominoes and polyominoes
in general.  A domino is constructed from two squares, stuck together,
with the corners aligned.  Note that there is only one possible shape
you can make from two equal sized squares.  Triominoes would be played
with all possible shapes made from three squares.  There are two.
Tetrominoes and Tetris are played with all possibles shapes made with
four squares (there are five shapes, not counting mirror images).
Pentominoes (featured in Clarke's _Imperial Earth_) is played with the
twelve possible shapes you can make with five squares, again sans
mirror images.  If a tetris games is written right, generalizing it
should be no problem.

========
Darren Leigh
Internet:  dleigh@hplabs.hp.com