[comp.sys.amiga] Tetris

as4e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Paul Stern) (03/07/89)

I have written a tetris game for the Amiga, and would be interested in releasing it public domain.  Is there already a PD tetris?  I know there's a commercial one.  How would I go about submitting to Fred Fish or whoever?

Also, it only works with joystick.  I can't seem to be able to read simple keypresses in a customscreen & window.  Any tips?

-Drew

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (03/08/89)

>I have written a tetris game for the Amiga, and would be interested in
>releasing it public domain.  Is there already a PD tetris?

Yes, there are two.  However, I don't see that as really relavant to whether you
should release yours.  Yours could be better than the others.  I would always
encourage distribution.

>I know there's a commercial one.  How would I go about submitting to Fred
>Fish or whoever?

Try submitting it through comp.binaries.amiga first.  I believe that it will
automatically end up on the fish disks then (200 or so people will correct me
if I'm wrong :-).

John Munsch

jtp@lupu.hut.fi (Jukka Tapani Partanen) (03/08/89)

In article <YY4epuy00VE145GKFy@andrew.cmu.edu> as4e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Paul Stern) writes:
>I have written a tetris game for the Amiga, and would be interested in
>releasing it public domain.  Is there already a PD tetris? I know there's
>a commercial one.  How would I go about submitting to Fred Fish or whoever?

	There are actually a number of Tetrixes around, but
	who would mind another one ...

>Also, it only works with joystick.  I can't seem to be able to read simple
>keypresses in a customscreen & window.  Any tips?

	Try attaching a console device to your custom window.
	The RKM's have a sufficient example...

	BTW, some suggestions about the Tetris game:
	don't use a custom screen (who wants such a memory-
	eater?), make the window re-sizable and draggable
	(it's kinda annoying to have it blocking a hot
	terminal session :-), attach some kind of priority
	setting option, and please try to make it multitask
	nicely.

>-Drew

	BTW, I really like the Amiga!

--
Jukka Partanen		!			 ! 	jtp@hupu.hut.fi
Lintukorventie 2 J 107 	! Divan, Divan...	 !	jtp@otax.tky.hut.fi

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (03/10/89)

From article <20216@santra.UUCP>, by jtp@lupu.hut.fi (Jukka Tapani Partanen):
> In article <YY4epuy00VE145GKFy@andrew.cmu.edu> as4e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Paul Stern) writes:
>>I have written a tetris game for the Amiga, and would be interested in
>>releasing it public domain.  Is there already a PD tetris? I know there's
>>a commercial one.  How would I go about submitting to Fred Fish or whoever?
>
> 	There are actually a number of Tetrixes around, but
> 	who would mind another one ...

Bring it on!   I am aware of 3.  "Tetris", the commercial one, "Tetrix",
my current favorite FD version, and "Tertis", another FD verson which by
default runs on the WB screen.

> 	BTW, some suggestions about the Tetris game:
> 	don't use a custom screen (who wants such a memory-

I like the custom screen.  I find it much cleaner to swap to a new
screen rather than juggling YAWorkbench window.  How about making it optional?
I only have 1M of RAM, but I don't mind eating the memory.

> 	setting option, and please try to make it multitask
> 	nicely.

Amen.

Addicted to Tetris-like games,
Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  Not speaking for Clemson University
disd@hubcap.clemson.edu       -- FIX the Holodeck --

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (03/20/89)

In article <254300029@trsvax> johnm@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>Try submitting it through comp.binaries.amiga first.  I believe that it will
>automatically end up on the fish disks then (200 or so people will correct me
>if I'm wrong :-).

This is generally true, however there are drawbacks:

	1.	I may never see the posting.  Usenet is not perfect
		and sometimes drops stuff on the floor.  If it is a
		large multipart posting, and one part gets lost, I
		probably won't expend much effort trying to find
		a source for the missing part.

	2.	There may be considerable delay between the time it
		is sent to comp.binaries.amiga and the time I see
		it, due to several factors.  As an example, I am
		just now today (18-Mar) getting sources and binaries
		that were posted in late Feb, since estinc was off
		the net for about three weeks and it has take about
		a week to catch up.  This means that material that
		could have made it onto one of the 16 disks released
		in the last couple of months may not be included for
		at least another several weeks.

	3.	Given two equally interesting things and a limited
		amount of time or disk space, priority is given to
		the material submitted to me directly by the author
		on disk.  This eliminates all questions in my mind
		about whether or not the author minds/wants/doen't-care
		about having the material included.  There were lots
		of interesting things posted in the last few months
		to the binaries and sources group that I had to
		reject due to ambiguity or outright restrictions in
		in the copyright or distribution clauses.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf