[comp.sys.amiga] Chris Erving memory hack and KickStart in roms

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (03/15/89)

Has anybody done this ?

(and got it to work)

--
                  ``Quick Robin !  The Bat-Listings !''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

gbuce@pixar.UUCP (George Buce) (03/16/89)

[crunch crunch cr

In article <13334@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
(asking about the Chris Erving memory hack for the A1000)
>Has anybody done this ?
>
>(and got it to work)

Sure with no problems for almost two years.  I'd suggest while you're in there
to do the PAL grounding modification, it can't hurt and may help things some...
I'm using CMI's Kickstart Eliminator and the Amazing Computing 512K piggyback
hack with the extra circuitry that holds off the memory until after the disk is
accessed.  Works like a charm and allows 1.25 Meg internally at little cost.

BTW, does anyone know if Creative Microsystems has Kickstart 1.3 available for
the Kickstart Eliminator yet?  I wouldn't recommend buying it if they don't,
but otherwise would recommmend it highly.

>                  ``Quick Robin !  The Bat-Listings !''
>richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV
George (8{>

|   George Buce (8{>     | Disclaimer:  Of course I don't represent Pixar.    |
|...!ucbvax!pixar!gbuce  | Discourager: They don't use Amigas...   8{(        |
| Boys and Girls, can you say 2K by 2K by 8bit greyscale?                     |
| How about photographic?  Sure... I knew you could...                        |

billc@percival.UUCP (William J. Coldwell) (03/18/89)

In article <3333@pixar.UUCP> gbuce@pixar.UUCP (George Buce) writes:
[all sorts of stuff munched]

>BTW, does anyone know if Creative Microsystems has Kickstart 1.3 available for
>the Kickstart Eliminator yet?  I wouldn't recommend buying it if they don't,
>but otherwise would recommmend it highly.
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|   George Buce (8{>     | Disclaimer:  Of course I don't represent Pixar.    |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Well George, give CMI a call and Lilliane can set you up with the 1.3 EPROMs,
and all new KickStart Eliminators come with 1.3 from CMI.

COMMERCIAL:

Creative Microsystems Inc.
19552 SW 90th Court
Tualatin, Oregon 97062
(503) 691-2552

Guess you can recommend it no... ;-)

Bill
[How come PIXAR doesn't use Amigas? We're going to be supporting Renderman, it
wouldn't hurt for them to have ONE! ;-)]
--
               William J. Coldwell - Amiga Attitude Adjuster
  CRYOGENIC SOFTWARE - 3647 W 97th #21B - Denver, CO 80030 - (303) 465-1330

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (03/19/89)

From article <3333@pixar.UUCP:, by gbuce@pixar.UUCP (George Buce):
: BTW, does anyone know if Creative Microsystems has Kickstart 1.3 available for
: the Kickstart Eliminator yet?  I wouldn't recommend buying it if they don't,
: but otherwise would recommmend it highly.

	Yup, we've been shipping the 1.3 version for a couple of months now.
If you sent in your registration card, you should have gotten a flier in the
mail with all the upgrade policy stuff in it. Basically, you send in $90 for
the upgrade (Four EPROMs, a disk and a manual..) then, after you've swapped
out your old EPROMs, you send them back to us for a rebate ($15.00 for each
reusable EPROM. ie., no soldered in ones or broken pins...) Your end cost is
$30 plus the shipping.

: +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
: |   George Buce (8{:     | Disclaimer:  Of course I don't represent Pixar.    |
: |...!ucbvax!pixar!gbuce  | Discourager: They don't use Amigas...   8{(        |
: +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
: | Boys and Girls, can you say 2K by 2K by 8bit greyscale?                     |
: | How about photographic?  Sure... I knew you could...                        |
: +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey

cs250c32@usl-pc.usl.edu (Stelly John B III) (03/20/89)

From George Bruce :

>BTW, does anyone know if Creative Microsystems has Kickstart 1.3 available for
>the Kickstart Eliminator yet?  I wouldn't recommend buying it if they don't,
>but otherwise would recommmend it highly.

Yes the kickstart 1.3 ROMs are now available.  In fact, the NEWEST board has
a socket the same size as the official Commodore ROM !!  So now you can get
updates from an Amiga dealer.

					Yukon
				 |     //
In real life : John B Stelly III |    //
"Sometimes, you can't hear what  |\\ //   'Only Amiga Makes it Possible'
 I'm saying.  It's because I'm in| \X/
 parenthesis." - Steven Wright   |