[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga the Workstation

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (03/13/89)

[From March 1989 issue of Byte (*Gasp*) ]

	"Maple, a mathematics program that previously ran on workstations
and mainframes, is now available in version 4.2 for the Macintosh..."

	I guess that makes the Amiga a workstation huh?  8)
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (03/14/89)

From article <3450@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, by yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang):
> [From March 1989 issue of Byte (*Gasp*) ]
>
> 	"Maple, a mathematics program that previously ran on workstations
> and mainframes, is now available in version 4.2 for the Macintosh..."
>
> 	I guess that makes the Amiga a workstation huh?  8)

Naw.  It's a mainframe.  Now where did I put my copy of MVS/XA.......
:-)

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  Not speaking for Clemson University
disd@hubcap.clemson.edu       -- FIX the Holodeck --

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (03/16/89)

In article <4765@hubcap.UUCP> disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
>From article <3450@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, by yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang):
>>
>> 	I guess that makes the Amiga a workstation huh?  8)
>
>Naw.  It's a mainframe.  Now where did I put my copy of MVS/XA.......

I've got this JCL shell from somewhere, maybe I should port it?  Nah...
then I'd probably have to use it.  Now a batch queue system would make
them Mac users green with envy :-)

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	Can you "Spot the Looney"?

In article <3450@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) writes:
> 	I guess that makes the Amiga a workstation huh?  8)

I would classify the Amiga as a home workstation.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (03/19/89)

In article <3638@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
->In article <3450@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) writes:
->> 	I guess that makes the Amiga a workstation huh?  8)
->
->I would classify the Amiga as a home workstation.

I beg to differ with you Peter :^).  There are now quite a few Amiga
2000's in offices connected to ethernet and using NFS.  Those attributes,
with a 68020/68881 card and 4MB of memory, make it a very useful
workstation in my book.

Of course an Amiga 500 with only 512K ram is considered by many people to
be only a game machine, but such is life.

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (03/20/89)

From article <3638@sugar.hackercorp.com>, by peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva):
> In article <3450@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) writes:
>> 	I guess that makes the Amiga a workstation huh?  8)
>
> I would classify the Amiga as a home workstation.

Ping. Ping.  I hear a term being coined.  "Homestation."

Amiga.  The homestation for the blessed of us.

Shoulda been in advertising... :-)

Gary